FREDERICK, Md. – The Salisbury University men's and women's cross country teams both finished strong at the Hood College Open on Saturday. Both teams finished second overall in a field of 15 men's teams and 13 women's teams.
Results: Women – 2nd (46 points) | Men – 2nd (50 points)
Total Time: Women – 1:58:31 (Avg. 23:43) | Men – 2:14:44 (Avg. 26:57)
Distance: Women – 6k | Men – 8k
Location: Utica Park – Frederick, Md. (Hood College)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Heather Delaplaine was the first Sea Gull to cross the finish line, finishing fourth overall out of 135 participants. Delaplaine finished with a time of 22:41.4.
- Junior Sydney Ruckel also legged out a top-10 finish, crossing the line seventh overall with a time of 23:37.9.
- Yanet Leul, Abby Potter, and Alyssa McCloskey all finished in the top 15, with Leul (12th) finishing in 23:57.3, Potter (13th) finishing in 24:02.6, and McCloskey (15th) finishing in 24:11.3.
- In the men's race, sophomore Ethan Gray led the charge. Gray finished third overall out of 146 participants with a time of 26:25.2.
- Junior Mason Kimbell and freshman Zachary Deming also each finished among the top-10 runners, with Kimbell (fifth) finishing with a time of 26:37.5 and Deming (seventh) finishing with a time of 26:43.4.
- Ryan Eville (14th) and Christian Ciattei (25th) each secured top-25 finishes to round out Salisbury's top-five runners. Eville finished with a time of 27:09.1, while Ciattei captured a time of 27:48.1.
- The teams will take a weekend off before traveling to York on Nov. 2 to compete in the Capital Athletic Conference Championships.
- The championship races are set to begin at 11 a.m.