SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University men's and women's cross country teams hosted races for the final time in 2019 when 21 programs descended upon Winter Place Park to take part in the 31st annual Don Cathcart Invitational. The women placed third overall as a team while the men finished fourth overall.
Results: Women – 3rd (68 points) | Men – 4th (125 points)
Total Time: Women – 1:53:52.04 (Avg. 22:46.41) | Men – 2:14:07.55 (Avg. 26:49.51)
Distance: Women – 6k | Men – 8k
Location: Winter Place Park – Salisbury, Md. (Salisbury University)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- For the second time in back-to-back weeks, sophomore Heather Delaplaine finished second overall in the women's event, which included a field of 154 runners. Delaplaine finished with a time of 21:57.64.
- Junior Sydney Ruckel and senior Ashley Mazer both had strong races as well, with both finishing just outside the top-10. Ruckel finished 11th overall with a time of 22:27.94, while Mazer finished 13th with a time of 22:39.83.
- Christine Sturm and Yanet Leul each finished among the top-25 runners, with Sturm (19th) crossing the finish line with a time of 23:16.04 and Leul (23rd) finishing with a time of 23:30.59.
- Junior Mason Kimbell led the way for the Sea Gulls in the men's 8k event, finishing eighth overall in a field of 159 with a time of 25:58.39.
- Sophomore Ethan Gray was the next Sea Gull to cross the line, finishing 17th overall with a time of 26:20.55
- Zachary Deming (23rd), Ryan Eville (40th), and Jeromy Green (45th) rounded out the top-five finishers for the maroon and gold with times of 26:34.29, 27:27.96, and 27:46.36, respectively.
- The teams return to action on Saturday, October 19 when they travel west to take part in the Hood College Invitational.
- The meet is set to begin a 10:00 a.m.