WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Salisbury University volleyball team traveled to Washington, D.C. on Friday and swept both the Cabrini Cavaliers, 3-0 (25-19, 25-16, 25-14), and the Catholic Cardinals, 3-0 (25-23, 25-15, 30-32) in a tri-match to secure its fourth-straight sweep.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. CABRINI
- Salisbury got out to an early 8-2 lead in the first set thanks to a four-point run with kills by both Brooke Young and Natalie Uibel.
- Cabrini battled back to make it 13-22 in favor of the Sea Gulls thanks in part to four kills by Sam Heenan.
- The Sea Gulls didn't look back after that, capping off the set win with a kill by Hannah Sullivan to give Salisbury the 25-19 victory.
- The second set saw the Sea Gulls take another early lead. The Sea Gulls went on a seven-point run with Kayla Pedersen serving. Salisbury dominated the set and finished the set, 25-16, after a tremendous kill by Jackie Mitchell.
- The Cavaliers kept it closer in the third set, not allowing the Sea Gulls to gain more than a six-point lead until it was 18-11 in favor of SU.
- Salisbury took over after that point, finishing the sweep with a convincing 25-14 victory.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Jenna Feinauer led the Sea Gull with 10 kills and swung at a .526 clip.
- Brooke Young set up 23 assists.
- Darian DiMatteo tallied 11 digs. Kayla Pedersen added eight of her own.
- DiMatteo also led the team with five of the team's 10 service aces.
CABRINI GAME NOTES
- Sam Heenan led the Cavaliers with six kills.
- Gina Custer tallied 20 digs.
- Melanie Cotes-Rivera set up 11 assists while Lexi Corte added 10 of her own.
HOW IT HAPPENED vs. CATHOLIC
- With the first set knotted at 3-3, Hannah Sullivan stepped up to serve and delivered an ace for Salisbury. The Sea Gulls went on a run until it was tied again 6-6.
- The first set went back and forth with ties at 8-8, 9-9, 14-14, and 17-17, until Salisbury was able to get a slight edge after back-to-back blocks to make it 20-18. Salisbury finished out the set winning 25-23 after a kill by Jenna Feinauer set up by Brooke Young.
- The second set saw Salisbury go up quickly 5-0 with Cabrini scoring their first point after a ball handling error by Young.
- The Sea Gulls held onto the lead for most of the set and pulled away in the final 15 points for a final score of 25-15.
- The third set was filled with thrilling back-and-forth action, with the largest lead being only four points at 20-16 in favor of Catholic.
- Facing match point, Catholic tied things up at 24-24 following a block by Mya Sullivan and Grace Guerin.
- From that point on, the lead changed three more times before the Sea Gulls came out on top, 32-30 following a huge block by Sullivan and Angelina Casserly
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Jackie Mitchell led the Sea Gulls with eight kills to go along with her eight digs.
- Hannah Sullivan and Angelina Casserly each recorded six kills.
- Darian DiMatteo tallied 15 digs.
- Brooke Young dished out 30 assists to go with her nine digs.
CATHOLIC GAME NOTES
- Olivia Blondin led the team with 11 kills.
- Blondin, Mackenzie Collier, and Caroline Kelly recorded double-digit digs. Kelly led the team with 18 digs.
- Isabel Gonzales registered 14 assists and Mya Sullivan recorded 12 assists.
- The Sea Gulls continue their road trip with a tri-match at Virginia Wesleyan on Saturday, Oct. 23.
- SU will open with Bridgewater at 1 p.m. before wrapping up the tri-match with Virginia Wesleyan at 3 p.m.