SALISBURY, Md. – The third-seeded Salisbury University volleyball team prevailed over sixth-seeded St. Mary's in the opening round of the Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) Tournament on Tuesday night, 3-2.
Final Score: Salisbury 3, St. Mary's 2 (25-18, 22-25, 25-10, 13-25, 15-10)
Records: Salisbury (18-10) | St. Mary's (5-23)
Location: Maggs PAC – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury dominated the first set, jumping out to a quick 8-1 lead. St. Mary's pulled to within four points on four separate occasions over the following 11 points, but the Sea Gulls went on another 7-3 rally to open the score back up to 19-11. A late 7-2 run by the Seahawks made things interesting towards the end, but Salisbury held on to take set one, 25-18.
- The maroon and gold jumped on its opponents quickly once again in set two with an early 10-3 lead. However, this time the Seahawks 6-0 run to pull within a point. Salisbury continued to hold a small lead and eventually push ahead 20-15, but St. Mary's stunned the home team with a late 10-2 rally to win the set, 25-22.
- The Sea Gulls played their best set of the night in the third, pouncing on their opponents quickly with a 12-3 lead. The Seahawks were never able to find their rhythm as they could only tally another seven points while Salisbury ran away with the set, 25-10.
- Momentum shifted quickly in the fourth set, as it was St. Mary's turn to play its best set of the evening. The Seahawks recorded 11 of the first 17 points and finished with 14 of the final 21 to take the set easily, 25-13.
- With the season on the line, the Sea Gulls took control with an early 5-0 lead only to see it vanish quickly with a 10-5 Seahawks run to tie things at 10-10. Salisbury managed to withstand the late threat, however, scoring the final five points to take the set, 15-10, and the match, 3-2.
- Chloe Adam and Amanda Chew both tallied 18 kills each to pace the Sea Gulls while Jenna Feinauer contributed another 11.
- Feinauer and Carley Cleland each recorded a pair of blocks to lead the team.
- Hailey Dougherty led the game with 27 digs while Darian DiMatteo added another 10.
- Blair Pausic tallied a game-high 53 assists while contributing four digs, two aces, and a kill.
- DiMatteo and Hannah Sullivan each contributed three aces of their own to lead the maroon and gold.