NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Salisbury University volleyball team dropped a road match to Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) opponent Christopher Newport University on Friday, 3-0.
Final Score: Christopher Newport 3, Salisbury 0 (25-11, 25-18, 25-13)
Records: Christopher Newport (23-7, 10-0 CAC) | Salisbury (16-9, 5-5 CAC)
Location: The Freeman Center – Newport News, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Christopher Newport jumped out to a quick start in the opening set, climbing out to an early 11-3 lead. Salisbury scored the next two points to pull within six, but it was as close as the team would get as the Captains rolled to set one victory, scoring 14 of the final 20 points for the 25-10 victory.
- Salisbury found its stride early in the second set, jumping out to an 8-6 lead. The Captains tallied six of the next seven points, however, to steal the lead at 12-9. The Sea Gulls pulled back within one at 12-11, but it couldn't regain the lead as Christopher Newport finished strong to take the set, 24-18.
- The maroon and gold once again took an early lead in the third set at 6-4, but the Captains scored the next four points to jump ahead 8-6. After trading a few points, Newport went on another 9-2 rally to open the lead to 22-12 and eventually close out the set, 25-12, and the match, 3-0.
- The Captains finished the match with a .376 hitting percentage on 85 attempts while holding the Sea Gulls to only .070 on 86 attempts.
- Amanda Chew tallied a team-high six kills while adding another five digs. Jenna Feinauer finished second with four kills.
- Blair Pausic lead the team with 15 assists while contributed four digs of her own.
- Hailey Dougherty paced the Sea Gulls with 13 digs while also tallying two assists and a dig. Kiana Bopp finished second on the team with seven digs.
- Carley Cleland recorded a team-high two blocks while Feinauer added one.
- The team returns to action on Saturday morning when it plays its final two matches of the two-day quad-match.
- Salisbury squares off against Virginia Wesleyan University in its first match of the day beginning at 10 a.m., then closes the weekend against Averett University at noon.
- Video and live stats will be available for the first match against Va. Wesleyan.