SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University volleyball team returned home on Saturday to host Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) opponent St. Mary's as a part of the university's annual homecoming festivities. The Sea Gulls held on to beat the Seahawks, 3-2.
Final Score: Salisbury 3, St. Mary's (Md.) 2 (25-27, 25-17, 25-15, 22-25, 15-13)
Records: Salisbury (14-8, 3-4 CAC) | St. Mary's (Md.) (5-18, 0-7 CAC)
Location: Maggs Physical Activities Center – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams came out ready to play in the first set. The first 12 points of the match involved six ties and a pair of lead changes before the Sea Gulls scored three straight points for the early 9-6 lead. Still down 14-12, the Seahawks put together a 7-3 rally to jump ahead 19-17. Salisbury pulled to a tie on four separate occasions but could never regain the lead as it dropped the first set to St. Mary's, 27-25.
- The Sea Gulls bounced back in the second set and jumped out to an early 10-5 lead. This time they were able to hold on to the lead for the rest of the set, never allowing the Seahawks to get within more than three points en route to a 25-17 set win.
- Salisbury scored the first five points of the third set to go up early, but St. Mary's clawed its way back in, eventually pulling within two points at 12-10. The maroon and gold's 4-0 run opened the lead to 16-10 and the team held on to go up 2-1 in sets with a 25-15 win.
- After Salisbury jumped out to a 10-8 lead early in the fourth set, St. Mary's rallied to score the next six points and go up 14-10. Four ties and four lead changes followed, but eventually, the Seahawks prevailed 25-22 to force the match into a fifth set.
- The final set looked to be going well for the Sea Gulls, who scored the first four points, but the Seahawks rallied with a 10-3 run to get up 10-7. Salisbury scored four of the next five points, however, to even the set at 11 points apiece before rallying to score four of the final six points and take the match.
- Amanda Chew recorded her 13th double-double of the season with 14 kills along with 16 digs. Hailey Dougherty also recorded 16 digs while Darian DiMatteo added 14.
- Chloe Adam led all Sea Gulls with 22 kills while Hannah Sullivan and Carley Cleland each tallied 10 kills apiece.
- Sullivan also tallied a team-high three blocks, while Cleland and Jenna Feinauer each recorded two apiece.
- Blair Pausic's 56 assists led the team for the seventh-straight match. Pausic also contributed a kill and seven digs.
- Salisbury will travel to face CAC opponent, York, on Wed., Oct. 23.
- The match is set to begin at 7 p.m.
- Video will be available for the match.