FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – The Salisbury University volleyball team took to the road on Wednesday evening to face off against Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) opponent, Mary Washington, but fell to the Eagles in straight sets.
Final Score: Mary Washington 3, Salisbury 0 (25-15, 25-12, 25-18)
Records: Salisbury (13-8, 2-4 CAC) | Mary Washington (11-11, 5-1 CAC)
Location: Ron Rosner Arena – Fredericksburg, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Eagles scored the first three points to open the first set and never trailed the rest of the way. Salisbury's 4-1 run to bring the score within one at 10-9 was the closest it could get. Mary Washington scored eight of the final 10 points to take the set 25-15.
- Salisbury kept pace to begin set two, bring the score to tie on two separate occasions, but Mary Washington eventually broke out to a 16-10 lead before scoring nine of the final 11 points to win 25-12.
- The Sea Gulls played their best set of the evening in the third set. They rallied early with a 6-1 run that put them ahead 9-6, but the Eagles kept clawing back. Four ties and four lead changes followed over the next 16 points, but eventually Mary Washington jumped ahead for good at 15-14 and eventually closed out the sweep with a 10-4 run and a 25-18 victory.
- Hailey Dougherty tallied a team-high 21 digs while Darian DiMatteo and Amanda Chew each contributed 10 apiece.
- Chew also led the team with nine kills, falling a kill shy of her 13th double-double of the season. Carley Cleland finished second in kills with seven while Chloe Adam added another six.
- Blair Pausic lead all Sea Gulls in assists for the sixth-straight match with 19 while Dougherty and Kiana Bopp each tallied five apiece. Pausic also recorded a team-high two blocks.