SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University volleyball team got their season started off on the right foot with a sweep on day one of the Sea Gull Classic, downing Thiel College in match one of the before defeating Susquehanna in a thrilling four-game match in the nightcap.
Final Score: Salisbury vs. Thiel, 3-1 / Salisbury vs. Susquehanna, 3-1
Records: Salisbury 2-0 | Thiel 1-1 | Susquehanna 1-1
Location: Salisbury, Md.
How It Happened:
- In match one, the Sea Gulls fell behind in an early 1-0 hole after the opening set. The maroon and gold rallied back to claim the next three by scores of 25-22, 25-11, and 25-8.
- Salisbury limited the Tomcats to a team hitting percentage of .000 and didn't let them hit over .152 in any of the four sets, including holding Thiel to negative hitting marks in both the third (-.143) and fourth (-.320). Meanwhile, the Sea Gulls only got better as the match moved on hitting .212 as a team.
- In the second match of the evening, Salisbury fell behind once again, dropping the opening set to the River Hawks, 25-16, while posting their lowest hitting percentage of the night at .029.
- The maroon and gold rallied back in the second set to level the match at 1-1 with a 25-22 victory, posting a .389 hitting percentage as a team. The Sea Gulls took the lead for good in the third set with a thrilling, 26-24, win. Salisbury outscored Susquehanna 3-1 down the stretch to earn the victory and push the lead to 2-1.
- In what proved to be the fourth and final set Salisbury battled back from a 21-17 deficit, outscoring Susquehanna 8-2 down the stretch to come from behind and close out the match. The Sea Gulls hit .291 in the set and committed just three errors while the River Hawks totaled six attacking errors and posted a hitting percentage of .184.
- Amanda Chew finished the night as Salisbury's leader in kills with 32, including a team-high 19 against Susquehanna.
- Chew also added in three services aces while four Sea Gulls recorded two.
- On the defensive end, Hailey Dougherty tallied a team-best 46 digs while Hannah Sullivan recorded eight blocks and freshman Jenna Feinauer posted six.
Beyond the Box Score:
- The win over Susquehanna was the first victory over the River Hawks since 2008 when the Sea Gulls picked up a 3-0 victory at the Salisbury Invitational.
- Chew's 19 kills is just one short of her career-high 20 she posted last season against the Catholic University of America.
- With her 46-dig performance, Hailey Dougherty moves into 10th all-time in Salisbury volleyball history for digs with 1,314.
- Salisbury returns to action on Saturday, August 31 when it hosts day two of the Sea Gull Classic.
- The Sea Gulls will take on Clark University at 11 a.m. before closing out the weekend with Muhlenberg College at 3 p.m.