SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University women's tennis team continued its winning ways with a 5-4 victory over the Stevens Ducks to improve to 4-0 in 2022.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sea Gulls opened the match with a pair of doubles wins. Veronica Cuellar and Katherine Tamesis notched an 8-5 win in No. 1 doubles over Agatha Malinowski and Polina Odintseva.
- Hannah Carter and Sarah Cooper earned an 8-4 win in No. 3 doubles against Juliette Marchisio and Emma Eguia.
- The momentum from doubles carried over in singles for Tamesis and Cooper. Tamesis split the first two sets with Odintseva before taking the match in the third set, 6-2, 0-6, 6-2, in No. 3 singles. Cooper cruised to a 6-2, 6-0 sweep against Marchisio in No. 5 singles.
- Elizabeth Christine also notched a two-set sweep in No. 4 singles over Isabella Dona, 6-4, 6-1.
- Cuellar battled to force a third set in No. 1 singles against Malinowski but was upended, 3-6, 7-6, 10-7.
- Salisbury will be back on the courts for its spring break trip to Florida.
- The first match in Orlando is set for Sunday, March 20 at 8 a.m. against Luther.
Salisbury University is a proud member of NCAA Division III with primary membership in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference, along with the New Jersey Athletic Conference for football and the Metropolitan Swimming and Diving Conference for men's and women's swimming. With over 500 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports, SU is recognized as one of the most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs regardless of division, and dedicated coaches and staff that foster excellence on-and-off the field. The Sea Gulls have celebrated 22 team national championships, 24 individual national champions, 186 conference championships and 41 Academic All-Americans.
To learn more about the tradition of excellence with Sea Gull Athletics, visit www.SUSeaGulls.com or on social media @SUSeaGulls.