SALISBURY, Md. - The Salisbury University women's tennis team opened the 2022 season in style with a 7-2 victory over the Virginia Wesleyan Marlins on Saturday at the SU Indoor Tennis Center.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury opened the match with a sweep in the doubles matches. Veronica Cuellar and Katherine Tamesis collected an 8-1 win over Alexa Brewster and Anna Rogers in No. 1 singles.
- Sarah Dover and Elizabeth Christine picked up an 8-4 win in No. 2 doubles over Sophia Bibbo and Christine Zalameda.
- Hannah Carter and Sarah Cooper cruised to an 8-0 shutout in No. 3 doubles against Amanda Stegemann and Maya Brown.
- Christine, Tamesis, Cooper and Carter all continued the doubles momentum into the singles matches.
- Christine rolled to a 6-0, 6-0 sweep over Stegemann in No. 4 singles.
- Tamesis and Cooper also notched two-set sweeps in No. 3 and No. 5 singles respectively.
- After battling to a 6-4 win in the first set against Brown, Carter recorded a 6-0 win in set two in No. 6 singles.
- Salisbury will be back in action on Sunday, Feb. 20 against Marymount.
- The women will follow the men at approximately 4 p.m.
Salisbury University is a proud member of NCAA Division III with primary membership in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference, along with the New Jersey Athletic Conference for football and the Metropolitan Swimming and Diving Conference for men's and women's swimming. With over 500 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports, SU is recognized as one of the most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs regardless of division, and dedicated coaches and staff that foster excellence on-and-off the field. The Sea Gulls have celebrated 22 team national championships, 24 individual national champions, 186 conference championships and 41 Academic All-Americans.
To learn more about the tradition of excellence with Sea Gull Athletics, visit www.SUSeaGulls.com or on social media @SUSeaGulls.