SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University women's tennis team suffered its first setback of the 2020 season with a close 5-4 defeat against the N.C. Wesleyan Battling Bishops.
Final Score: N.C. Wesleyan 5, Salisbury 4
Records: Salisbury (4-1) | N.C. Wesleyan (2-1)
Location: SU Indoor Tennis Center – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury held the lead after doubles play with all three matches tightly contested. Annika Kezman and Veronica Cuellar earned a close 8-7 win over Giulia Zanetti and Nicole Halabi in No. 1 doubles.
- Katherine Tamesis and Sydney Soto notched an 8-6 win in No. 3 doubles over Julianna Johnson and Chandler Brice.
- Tamesis and Laura Brown tallied three-set wins in singles matches.
- Brown won the first set but dropped the second set to Halabi in No. 3 singles. She rebounded to win the match 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.
- Tamesis came back from losing the first set to Ana Aguliar in sixth singles, 5-7, to win the second set and the super tiebreaker, 7-5, 10-3.
- Soto won the first set against Johnson in No. 4 singles, 6-4. She couldn't hold the advantage as Soto dropped the final two sets, 1-6, 1-6.
- The Sea Gulls will be on the road on Friday, March 6 to take on their Eastern Shore rivals, the Washington Shoremen.
- The match is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. in Chestertown, Md.
- Live results will be available.