SALISBURY, Md. – The fourth-seeded Salisbury University women's soccer team made quick work of the fifth-seeded Finlandia Lions, cruising to a 4-0 victory in the quarterfinal round of the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) Tournament at Sea Gull Soccer Stadium.
The Sea Gulls now advance to the C2C semifinals and will face top-seeded Christopher Newport on Friday at 11 a.m.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sea Gulls wasted no time taking control of the match. In the second minute, Kasey Lamb launched a shot from just outside the left corner of the box that Lauren Spelman deflected into the lower-left corner, giving Salisbury a 1-0 lead just 86 seconds in.
- In the eighth minute, Maia Burger served a cross into the box from the right side that found the head of a defending Lion and caromed right into the net, and the Sea Gulls took a 2-0 lead on the own goal.
- After being kept off the scoreboard for the rest of the first half, Salisbury again broke through at the beginning of the second half. On a set piece from the right sideline in the 47th minute, Ally Goetz fired a cross to the left side of the box, and Mallory Pasco met it with her head, launching it into the back of the net and building the SU cushion to 3-0.
- The Sea Gulls added one more for good measure in the 55th minute. Setting up on the left side of the box, Pasco again put her head on a cross from Spelman and buried her second goal of the match, giving SU its fourth and final goal and a 4-0 lead.
- The Lions' best chance came in the 79th minute when Julissa Barrera rocked a shot off the crossbar. Two minutes later Addie Budzinski took a shot in the box that Sea Gull goalkeeper Emma Hill got in front of for a save.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Mallory Pasco netted her first two goals of the season to lead the Sea Gull attack.
- Lauren Spelman also scored her first goal of the year and managed her first assist on Pasco's second goal.
- Ally Goetz picked up her first assist on Pasco's first tally.
- Emma Hill made a save on the only shot on goal she faced to earn her third clean sheet of the year.
- Salisbury's four goals were its most in a game this season since Sept. 5 when SU beat Marymount (Va.) 5-0.
- The Sea Gulls outshot Finlandia 35-3 in the match and took 12 corner kicks to the Lions' one.
FINLANDIA GAME NOTES
- Addie Budzinski took two of the Lions' three shots, including their only strike on goal in the 81st minute. Morgan Campbell took the other shot.
- Samantha Linteo made 14 saves against 18 shots on goal.
- The Lions didn't take their first shot until the 79th minute and took their only corner kick in the 80th minute.
- The Sea Gulls will do battle with top-seeded Christopher Newport in the C2C semifinals on Friday morning.
- The Captains beat SU twice in the regular season, winning 3-0 in Salisbury on Oct. 6 and 7-1 in Newport News on Oct. 20.
- Kickoff from Sea Gull Soccer Stadium is slated for 11 a.m.