SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University women's soccer team dropped its Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) opener on Wednesday to the third-ranked Christopher Newport Captains, 3-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams started out playing fast with Sara Davis getting a good look at the goal for the Sea Gulls just six minutes into the match, however the keeper was able to make the save.
- Christopher Newport returned the favor with a flurry of shots. In the 26th minute, Sarah Rhiel found Sarah Smith on a throw in. Smith corralled the ball inside the box and ripped a shot past the fingertip of a diving Emma Hill to give the Captains a 1-0 advantage.
- In the 33rd minute, a bouncing ball in the box found Emma Ricci, who got the ball to Riley Cook who drilled a shot into the net to give CNU the 2-0 lead.
- Just over a minute later, the Captains put the final goal on the board after Ricci took another ball down the sideline to set up Maddie Blake who found an open Ryanne Davidson to make it a 3-0 game.
- The second half saw both sides jockeying for possession, with Salisbury looking to get back in the game. Autumn Dougherty got a long shot off in the 60th minute that was saved by Haley Eiser.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
CHRISTOPHER NEWPORT GAME NOTES
- Emma Ricci recorded two assists for the Captains.
- Riley Cook, Ryanne Davidson and Sarah Smith scored CNU's goals.
- Goalkeeper Haley Eiser tallied six saves in goal.
- CNU outshot Salisbury, 15-7.
- Salisbury will travel to Fredericksburg, Va. to take on the Mary Washington Eagles in C2C action on Saturday, Oct. 9.
- The contest is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.