EWING, N.J. – The top-ranked Salisbury University women's lacrosse team rolled past the Kenyon Ladies, 15-3, in the third round of the NCAA Championship Tournament on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams jostled for possession for the first five minutes of the match. Salisbury got on the board first with a goal from Camryn Pepper with 9:18 left in the first quarter.
- Pepper's goal jump-started the Sea Gull offense, which rattled off four more unanswered goals in the period to make it a 5-0 run in the first.
- The Sea Gulls carried this momentum into the second quarter and scored four more unanswered goals to extend their run to 9-0 with 4:26 left to go in the half. Delaney Hill and Pepper each scored two goals in the run and Mary Hanzsche assisted on two of the goals.
- Kenyon got on the board with 3:23 left in the second quarter after Emma Hutchison converted a free position shot.
- Salisbury tacked on one more goal from Maggie Sanders with 22 seconds left in the first half to give SU the 10-1 halftime lead.
- Sanders tallied her second goal of the day just over two minutes into the third, with help from teammate Emily Van Reenan, to force the running clock.
- The Ladies answered two minutes later with Hutchison's second goal of the day.
- Alexandra Parker brought the lead back to double-digits, 12-2, with a goal with just under four minutes left in the third
- Both teams traded goals to begin the fourth. Salisbury's goal came from Abby Lantos at the 13:15 mark before Salisbury tacked on three more goals in the final period two from Kiersten Hartman and one from Ella Mannix which gave the game its final score of 16-3.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Kiersten Hartman tallied a career-high four points on two goals and two assists.
- Camryn Pepper scored two goals and dished out an assist.
- Delaney Hill and Maggie Sanders each scored twice.
- Mary Hanzsche and Alexandra Parker each scored a goal and tallied two assists.
- Brooke Adams collected three ground balls and caused three turnovers on defense.
- Mary Claire Hisle earned the win in goal and tallied seven saves on nine shots faced.
- Kaitlyn Hunsinger saw time in goal and tallied a save.
KENYON GAME NOTES
- Emma Hutchison scored two goals and collected four draw controls.
- Tatumn Eccleston scored a goal and had an assist.
- Lauren Gilbert collected four ground balls and caused a turnover.
- Nola Garand earned the start in goal and made six saves on 18 shots faced.
- Salisbury will take on seventh-ranked TCNJ Lions in the NCAA Quarterfinals on Sunday, May 22. Game time is set for 1 p.m. in Ewing N.J.
Salisbury University is a proud member of NCAA Division III with primary membership in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference, along with the New Jersey Athletic Conference for football and the Metropolitan Swimming and Diving Conference for men's and women's swimming. With over 500 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports, SU is recognized as one of the most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs regardless of division, and dedicated coaches and staff that foster excellence on-and-off the field. The Sea Gulls have celebrated 22 team national championships, 24 individual national champions, 189 conference championships and 41 Academic All-Americans.
To learn more about the tradition of excellence with Sea Gull Athletics, visit www.SUSeaGulls.com or on social media @SUSeaGulls.