SALISBURY, Md. - The second-ranked Salisbury University women's lacrosse team held Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) opponent, Southern Virginia, scoreless in the second half to secure the 18-4 win to continue its season-opening win streak to eight games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Less than a minute into the first half, Erin Scannell found the back of the net to give the Sea Gulls the early 1-0 lead.
- Southern Virginia answered back with a goal from Chloe Mitchell to tie the game at one apiece.
- Salisbury then scored three unanswered goals, first with an unassisted goal from Lydia McNulty then strikes from Camryn Pepper and Riley Hartman both off Alexis Strobel assists to extend the SU lead to 4-1 at the 18:46 mark in the first half.
- Natalie Rice tallied a goal to end the Sea Gull run with 16:53 on the first-half clock to cut the Sea Gull lead to 4-2.
- Lauren Valenti and McNulty tallied two back-to-back goals to push the Salisbury lead to four, 8-2, with just over 10 minutes left in the first.
- The Knights answered the Sea Gulls when Lauren Thatcher netted a goal off an assist by Paige Sieverts with 9:23 remaining in the first half.
- Sieverts scored the final goal for the Knights off a free-position opportunity to trim the Sea Gull lead to 8-4 with 1:58 left on the clock.
- Strobel rounded out the first half scoring off an individual effort with 35 seconds remaining to secure the 10-4 lead going into the second half.
- During the second half, the Sea Gulls held the Knights scoreless with McNulty leading the run with three goals while Anna Robinson found the back of the net twice.
- Becca Puente, Leah Vilov and Strobel all tallied once during the eight-goal run to secure the 18-4 win over Southern Virginia.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Lydia McNulty led the team with six goals and one assist for 11 points.
- Alexis Strobel dished out a team-high three assists.
- Leah Vilov, Elizabeth Hesen and Lydia McNulty all collected three ground balls.
- Erin Scannell caused a team-high three turnovers.
- Elizabeth Hesen led the team on the draw circle with four draw controls
- Mary Claire Hisle recorded six saves in the net for the Sea Gulls
- Becca Puente scored her first career goal in the maroon and gold
- Kellan McAleer, Riley Hartman, Anna Robinson and Elizabeth Hesen all earned their first career starts.
SOUTHERN VIRGINIA GAME NOTES
- Lauren Thatcher and Paige Sievert both led the team with three points each
- Kelsey Ray led the team with five ground balls.
- Natalie Rice collected a game-high five draw controls.
- Roxy LeBaron caused a team-high four turnovers
- Jessica Webb recorded 15 saves in net against the Sea Gulls
- Salisbury will be back in action on Saturday, April 3 against C2C foe No. 23 Christopher Newport in the first game in a men's and women's lacrosse doubleheader.
- The game is set to begin at noon at Sea Gull Stadium.