Posted: Mar 03, 2021
GLASSBORO, N.J.- The No. 7 Salisbury University women's lacrosse team earned its second win of the season with a 16-7 road victory at Rowan on Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sea Gulls got the scoring started quickly with an early three-goal lead with goals coming from Lydia McNulty, Lily Cavallaro and Mary Hanzsche
- Rowan responded with a goal in the middle of the first half from Ashley Lechliter to cut the SU lead to 3-1.
- Camryn Pepper began another three-goal Sea Gull run at the 16:02 mark in the first. Alyssa Borgert and Riley Hartman would both find the back of the net about 50 seconds apart to extend the Sea Gull lead to 6-1 with 14:05 remaining in the first.
- Rowan's Julianna Corson ended Salisbury's run with a goal with 10:45 left in the first half.
- For the third time in the first half, Salisbury went out on a three-goal scoring run with an Erin Scannell free-position sandwiched between markers by Cavallaro and Hanzsche to allow Salisbury to take a 9-2 halftime lead over Rowan.
- Hanzsche would end the first half with her second goal of the day off an assist from Borgert to take the Sea Gulls into the half leading the Profs, 9-2.
- After Rowan scored first after the halftime break, Salisbury's broke out a four-goal flurry to hit a double-digit lead. Julie Talbert scored back-to-back goals with assists by Meridith Price and senior Alexis Strobel.
- Strobel added her second assist of the day when she found Borgert open in the middle to score. Pepper completed the hat-trick with just under 10 minutes left in the game.
- Rowan scored four times in the final 10 minutes of the game but goals from Pepper, Scannell and Leah Vilov helped ensure Salisbury's victory.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Alyssa Borgert finished the day with a team-high five points off of two goals and three assists.
- Camryn Pepper netted her first career hat trick in the maroon and gold
- Mary Hanzsche tallied her first two collegiate goals for SU.
- Elizabeth Hesen led the team with a career-high six draw controls and two caused turnovers.
- Meridith Price recorded her first career point as a Sea Gull.
- Delaney Hill picked up a team-high four ground balls.
- Mary Claire Hisle recorded three saves for the Sea Gulls.
- The Sea Gulls edged the Profs 18-13 in ground balls and 13-11 in draw controls
ROWAN GAME NOTES
- Juliana Corson led the Profs with four points on three goals and one assist. She collected four ground balls and four draw controls along with two caused turnovers.
- Dara Hennessy dished out a team-high two assists and recorded one goal for three points.
- Shannen Sterner, Julia Grlica, Ashley Lechliter all tallied one goal for Rowan.
- Reilly Shaup recorded 11 saves in the net for Rowan
- Salisbury opens the home schedule on Saturday, March 6 when they begin its five-game homestand against Washington College.
- The game is set to begin at 1 p.m.