SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University women's basketball team closed its regular season on Wednesday night, defeating Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) rival Mary Washington at home, 55-49.
Final Score: Salisbury 55, Mary Washington 49
Records: Salisbury (11-14, 4-6 CAC) | Mary Washington (17-8, 6-4 CAC)
Location: Maggs Physical Activities Center – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury jumped out early with an 8-0 lead just over four minutes into the first quarter behind a pair of layups from Kaylee Otlowski.
- Mary Washington scored the next five points to close the deficit to three, but the Sea Gulls went on another 7-3 run featuring a three-pointer by Jada Welbon with 34 seconds remaining to take a 15-8 lead into the second quarter.
- A 9-2 Eagles run to start the second quarter brought the game to a tie at 17-17 with 7:29 to play in the half.
- Mary Washington kept its foot on the pedal, closing the half with an 11-2 run to take a 28-19 lead into the halftime.
- The tables turned again in the third quarter as Salisbury outscored Mary Washington, 18-4, to pull ahead once again with a 37-32 lead. Lauren Fortescue and Amber Onyekwere led the way with five point each while combining for five of the team's eight third-quarter steals.
- The maroon and gold scored the first four points of the fourth quarter, extending its lead to 41-32. However, the Eagles answered back once again scoring nine of the next 10 points to pull with only one at 42-41 with 5:35 remaining on the clock.
- The two teams went back and forth with Mary Washington still trailing by one point, 49-48 with 1:33 remaining.
- Following a Salisbury timeout with only 38 seconds remaining and the lead still at one, Fortescue sunk a jumper that started a 6-1 run to close the game and seal the 55-49 victory.
- Kaylee Otlowski picked up her 12th double-double of the season, scoring 13 points to go along with 12 rebounds. The forward also added three blocks, three assists, and two steals.
- Lauren Fortescue scored a team-high 14 points in the win, adding four steals, four assists, and two rebounds.
- Amber Onyekwere also reached double-digits, tallying 10 points. The guard added four steals, three assists, and three rebounds.
- Salisbury forced 29 turnovers in the win – one shy of its season high of 30 set against Catholic back on December 3.
- The Sea Gulls finish the regular season with a 4-6 conference record to earn the No. 4 seed in this year's CAC tournament. They will host the No. 5 seed Southern Virginia Knights in the first round of the tournament on Saturday, February 22. Start time TBA.