NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The Salisbury University women's basketball team traveled to take on Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) rival Christopher Newport University on Saturday afternoon, but fell to the Captains, 72-68.
Final Score: Christopher Newport 72, Salisbury 68
Records: Salisbury (10-14, 3-6 CAC) | Christopher Newport (20-9, 9-0 CAC)
Location: Freeman Center – Newport News, Va.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Christopher Newport jumped out to an 8-2 lead in the early minutes of the first quarter, but Salisbury answered five straight points behind field goals from Amber Onyekwere and Kaylee Otlowski to cut the deficit to 8-7 with 4:53 on the clock.
- The Captains closed the final five minutes of the first quarter with an 11-0 run, opening the lead to 19-7 after 10 minutes of play.
- The Sea Gulls opened the second quarter with a 10-5 run over the first five minutes to cut the deficit to 24-7. Otlowski led the way with six points while Emily Dilger scored the other four.
- Lauren Fortescue closed out an 11-8 Salisbury run in the final minutes of the first half on a layup with seven seconds remaining as the Sea Gulls headed to the locker room down only four points, at 32-28.
- Salisbury kept the game close throughout the first 6:18 of the third quarter, as each team scored 12 points to bring the score to 44-40 in favor of the Captains.
- Still trailing by three points with only four seconds to go in the third quarter, Dilger drew a foul to send her to the line where she converted both of her free throw attempts, cutting the Captains' lead to only one, 53-52, with ten minutes left to play in the game.
- A 9-5 Captains run to begin the fourth quarter bumper their lead 62-57 with 5:49 to go. Salisbury pulled back within two points a minute later on a Fortescue free throw and a Dilger jumper.
- However, Christopher Newport closed the game with a 10-6 run to win its ninth-straight CAC game and remain undefeated with a 72-68 win.
- Emily Dilger snagged her fifth double-double of the season, scoring 19 points to go along with 10 rebounds. Dilger also tied a team high with four assists while adding a steal and a block.
- Lauren Fortescue tied a season high, scoring 20 points in the loss. The sophomore guard went 8-for-14 from the field and 4-for-7 from the stripe while adding two assists, a rebound and a steal.
- Kaylee Otlowski tallied 13 points and pulled in 8 rebounds. The forward also dished out four assists while adding four steals and a block.