SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University women's basketball team battled the conference-leading Christopher Newport Captains to the final whistle but the Sea Gulls couldn't hold on to the late lead as CNU escaped the Eastern Shore with a 75-68 Capital Athletic Conference (CAC) win on Saturday.
Final Score: CNU 75, Salisbury 68
Records: Salisbury (8-11, 1-3 CAC) | CNU (14-4, 3-0 CAC)
Location: Maggs PAC – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams were trying to find their footing in the early goings as CNU held the early 16-14 lead after the first quarter.
- Salisbury stormed ahead of CNU on a 16-4 run to start the second quarter to push the Sea Gull lead to 30-20 five minutes into the quarter. Kylie Webb had the hot hand during Salisbury's run as she drained three consecutive three-pointers.
- The Sea Gulls pushed their lead to as much as 13 points when Webb's fourth three-pointer of the quarter gave Salisbury the 35-22 lead with 2:54 left in the half.
- CNU ended the quarter on a 10-3 run to cut the Salisbury lead to 38-32 heading to the halftime break.
- During the second quarter, Salisbury shot 64.3 percent (9-of-14) from the floor, including a perfect 4-for-4 from beyond the three-point line.
- Salisbury was able to stretch its lead back to 10 points in the third quarter when Webb made another three-pointer in the corner to give Salisbury the 45-35 lead with five minutes left in the quarter.
- CNU looked to battle back into the game but the Sea Gulls were able to take a 54-47 lead into the quarter break over the Captains.
- CNU cut the Salisbury lead to 62-61 at the media timeout in the middle of the fourth quarter.
- Amber Onyekwere tied the game at 68 with just over two minutes left in regulation with a jumper at the free-throw line after a steal by Courtney Brigham near half-court.
- CNU pulled away from Salisbury in the final two minutes of the game with a game-sealing 7-0 run to stifle the Sea Gulls' upset bid.
- Kylie Webb scored a team-best 18 points to set a new career-high. 12 of her 18 points came in the second quarter. Webb shot 6-of-7 from three. She also added a trio of rebounds and two assists.
- Kaylee Otlowski and Courtney Brigham each netted double figures. Otlowski scored 13 points and dished out three assists while Brigham notched 11 points and stole the ball twice. Otlowski and Brigham each reeled in seven boards apiece,
- Amber Onyekwere scored eight points and pulled down five rebounds.
- Jada Welbon recorded five points and a team-high four steals.
- Salisbury scored 36 bench points and outrebounded CNU at a 39-36 clip.