NAPLES, Fla. – The Salisbury University women's basketball team faced off against Wisconsin-Stout on the opening day of the Naples Shootout on Sunday afternoon, but fell to the Blue Devils, 72-63.
Final Score: UW-Stout 72, Salisbury 63
Records: Salisbury (7-6) | UW-Stout (8-2)
Location: Community School of Naples – Naples, Fla.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UW-Stout scored the first six points of the game as part of a 15-5 run that carried through the first 8:30 of play.
- Salisbury scored the final four points of the quarter on a Lauren Fortescue Layup and a pair of Kylie Webb free throws to cut the deficit to 15-9.
- The Blue Devils began the second quarter with a 10-7 run over the first five minutes to grab a 25-16 lead.
- The Sea Gulls scored the next six points to pull within three at 25-22 with 3:40 remaining in the half.
- A 7-2 run by UW-Stout closed the half as Salisbury entered the locker room down 32-24.
- A Jada Welbon three-pointer just 17 seconds into the third quarter spurred a dominating 17-2 Salisbury run over the first seven minutes to take a 41-34 lead. Kolby Brown led the charge with six points over the stretch.
- The Blue Devils finished the quarter with an 8-2 run to trim Salisbury's lead to 43-42.
- UW-Stout took back the lead 31 seconds into the fourth quarter on a three-pointer by Amber Fabeck, but Amber Onyekwere answered at the other end with a layup to bring the score to a 45-45 tie.
- The teams kept the score close over the following four minutes with the Blue Devils outscoring the Sea Gulls by a slight 12-9 margin to gain a 57-54 lead with five minutes remaining in regulation.
- Salisbury was not able to re-take the lead the rest of the way, as UW-Stout closed out the victory with a 15-9 run to defeat the Sea Gulls, 72-63.
- Kaylee Otlowski picked up her fifth double-double of the season with 14 points and 11 rebounds. She also recorded a team-high four blocks while dishing out three assists.
- Jada Welbon led the team in scoring with 16 points while also pulling in seven rebounds and a team-high four steals.
- Kolby Brown added 11 points while going 5-for-6 from the field. Brown added four rebounds, a steal, and an assist.
- Both teams struggled from long-range, as UW-Stout finished the game 3-for-15 (20.0%) while Salisbury went 1-for-8 (12.5%).
- Alternatively, both teams performed well at the free throw line, with Salisbury going 14-for-17 (82.4%) and UW-Stout going 23-for-29 (79.3%).
- UW-Stout also out-shot Salisbury from the field by a slight margin, going 23-for-59 (39.0%) while the Sea Gulls went 24-for-66 (36.4%)