SCRANTON, Pa. – The Salisbury University women's basketball team dropped its first game of the Hilton Scranton Poinsettia Classic when it fell to the Misericordia Cougars Wednesday night, 85-76.
Final Score: Misericordia 85, Salisbury 76
Records: Misericordia (9-0) | Salisbury (6-5)
Location: John Long Center – Scranton, Pa. (University of Scranton)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Misericordia jumped out to a quick 10-4 lead behind three-pointers from Erica Haefele and Tessa Zamolyi in the opening five minutes of the first quarter.
- A pair of threes by Jada Welbon and Lauren Fortescue helped Salisbury counter with an 8-4 run of its own that brought the score to within two at 14-12, but two more three-pointers from the Cougars in the final minutes of the frame spurred a 6-4 run that put Misericordia ahead after one quarter, 20-16.
- The Cougars continued to find success offensively in the second quarter to jump out to a 31-22 lead with an 11-6 run in the first five minutes. A pair of Emily Dilger layups were followed with an Amber Onyekwere three-pointer in the following three minutes of play helped pull the Sea Gulls to within four at 33-29.
- The Cougars tallied five of the final seven points of the second quarter to take a 38-31 lead into halftime.
- The third quarter kicked off with a Welbon layup just 37 seconds in, but another three-pointer by Zamolyi started a 14-6 run that saw the Cougars pull ahead with five minutes remaining in the third quarter.
- An Elizabeth Fasti three-pointer capped off a 13-8 run for the Cougars over the final five minutes to give Misericordia a 65-49 lead heading into the fourth quarter.
- Salisbury stole the momentum to begin the fourth quarter with a quick 13-7 featuring three-pointers from Kylie Webb and Kolby Brown to help pull the team back within 10 at 72-62 with just over five minutes to play.
- The Sea Gulls were able to out-score the opponent 14-13 in the final five minutes of the contest, but it wasn't enough to overcome the late deficit as they fell to the Cougars, 85-76.
- Emily Dilger recorded her second straight double-double in the loss. She led the team with 15 rebounds to go along with 14 points. Dilger also contributed three assists and a steal.
- Kaylee Otlowski went 8-for-18 from the field to lead the Sea Gulls in scoring with 18 points while leading the team with three steals.
- Lauren Fortescue contributed a team-high four assists to go along with five points and three rebounds.
- The team will square off against Elmira (N.Y.) on the final day of the Hilton Scranton Poinsettia Classic on Thursday, December 19. Game time is set for 5 p.m.