TOWSON, Md. – The Salisbury University women's basketball team rolled to it's fourth-straight victory on Sunday, defeating the Goucher Gophers, 76-41 behind double-doubles from Kaylee Otlowski and Emily Dilger.
Final Score: Salisbury 76, Goucher 41
Records: Salisbury (6-4) | Goucher (4-5)
Location: Decker Sports & Recreation Center – Towson, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Sea Gulls came out hot in the first quarter and jumped out to an early 9-1 lead in the first five minutes behind field goals from Kaylee Otlowski, Emily Dilger, and Catherine Gibson.
- Following the Gophers' first field goal of the afternoon making it 9-3 with 4:41 to play, Salisbury opened another 11-4 run to close the quarter 20-7 behind six more points from Otlowski.
- A pair of Otlowski free throws made put the score at 22-7 to begin the second quarter, but Goucher eventually started to find its rhythm after that. The Gophers held the Sea Gulls to only eight more points in the quarter while scoring 14 of their own to head to the locker room down, 30-21.
- A Jada Welbon three-pointer kicked off the third quarter for the maroon and gold but was answered quickly at the other end by a Shelby Apostle layup to make it 33-23. The field goal marked the final Goucher score before a dominating 19-0 Salisbury run to close out the third quarter put the game out of reach. The run began featured six points from Kolby Brown, five from Dilger, and four from Otlowski.
- An Alayna McFadden three-pointer finally broke up the impressive Salisbury run, bring the score to 52-26. The Sea Gulls would close the quarter with another 7-2 run, including four points form Lauren Fortescue, to carry a 59-28 lead into the final 10 minutes.
- An 11-6 Salisbury run kicked off the first five minutes of the fourth quarter pushed the lead out to 70-34.
- The Gophers outscored the Sea Gulls in the final five minutes of the game, 7-6, but Salisbury would cruise to its fourth-straight victory, 76-41.
- Kaylee Otlowski put together the best game of her college career – and her third-straight double-double – with 24 points and 22 rebounds. The feat also marks the fourth time this season the forward has picked up a double-double.
- Otlowski also tied Lauren Fortescue for the team lead in assists with three. Fortescue finished with nine points and nine rebounds.
- Teammate Emily Dilger also collected a double-double – the first of her college career – with 10 points and 10 rebounds.
- Both teams shot well from the stripe, with Goucher shooting 76.5 percent (13-for17) and Salisbury shooting 72.2 percent (13-for-18).
- The Sea Gulls held the Gophers to only 23.6 percent shooting while going 36.9 percent from the field.
- The four-game winning streak by the Sea Gulls is the first since the 2018-19 when they opened the season with wins over Virginia Wesleyan, Albright, Gwynedd Mercy, and Stevenson.
- The team will travel to the University of Scranton to take part in the Hilton Scranton Poinsettia Classic where it will face off against Misericordia in its first game scheduled for 7 p.m. on Wednesday, December 18.