SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University women's basketball team moved to above .500 on the season with its third straight victory on Saturday afternoon, defeating the visiting Neumann Knights, 83-44.
Final Score: Salisbury 83 | Neumann 44
Records: Salisbury (5-4) | Neumann (4-5)
Location: Maggs PAC – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury jumped out to a quick 6-0 lead in the first two minutes of the game with field goals from Kaylee Otlowski, Kolby Brown, and Amber Onyekwere.
- The lead grew to 12-4 after four minutes, but the Knights put together a 9-0 run of their own which was capped by a Lauren Leicht three-pointer with 2:32 to go.
- Otlowski scored the final basket of the quarter to give her team the slight 14-13 lead after one quarter of play.
- Salisbury came out hot in the second quarter with a 13-4 run that was sparked by a Jada Welbon three-pointer to take a 27-17 lead.
- The maroon and gold kept its foot on the gas to close the quarter with a 7-0 run that included field goals from Otlowski, Welbon and Lauren Fortescue to take a 34-17 lead into the half.
- It was more of the same for the Sea Gulls in the third quarter as they expanded their lead to 46-17 with a 12-0 run that was capped by a Brown layup with 5:03 on the clock.
- The Knights offense started to find a pulse in the final five minutes of the quarter with nine points. However, the Sea Gulls edged them out with 10 more of their own to take a 56-27 lead into the final frame.
- The fourth quarter began with a three-pointer by Neumann guard Courtney Murray just 35 seconds in, but it was all Salisbury after that. The first five minutes of the quarter ended with a 12-6 Sea Gull run that was highlighted by Kylie Webb three-pointer with 6:13 to play.
- The final five minutes of the contest played out with a Salisbury 13-8 run featuring another Welbon three-pointer as the Sea Gulls cruised to victory, 83-44.
- The Salisbury defense held Neumann to 32 percent (16-50) shooting from the field.
- Salisbury outrebounded Neumann, 42-30.
- Salisbury shot 48.5 percent (32-66) from the field and 69.6 percent (16-23) from the charity stripe.
- Kaylee Otlowski recorded her third double-double of the season – and second in as many games – with team-highs in points (15) and rebounds (11).
- Amber Onyekwere also added 15 points while also contributing a team-high seven assists along with six rebounds.
- Kolby Brown and Lauren Fortescue also each reached double figures, scoring 14 and 10 points, respectively. Brown also added two blocks to lead the team.
- Jada Welbon and Kylie Webb both chipped in with nine points apiece.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Salisbury held Neumann scoreless from 8:32 remaining in the second quarter until 4:46 to go in the third quarter – a total game time of 13:46.
- The victory marks the third straight game the Sea Gulls have won by at least 30 points – a feat that has not been accomplished since the 2001-02 season. That year Salisbury finished its regular season with wins over Gallaudet (90-46) and Goucher (74-40) before defeating Gallaudet again in the first round of the Capital Athletic Conference tournament, 84-44.
- It is the first time since the 2016-17 season that Salisbury won three or more games by 30 points or more in a season.