WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Salisbury University women's basketball team picked up its biggest win of the young season Tuesday night, defeating previously undefeated Catholic on its home court, 74-39.
Final Score: Salisbury 74, Catholic 39
Records: Salisbury (4-4) | Catholic (7-1)
Location: Franny Murray Court – Washington, D.C.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury came out scorching hot in the opening quarter to drop 30 points on the stunned Cardinals. The two teams kept the game close with the Sea Gulls holding a slight 12-10 edge after five minutes, but a pair of Emily Dilger free throws sparked an 18-6 Salisbury run that featured 12 points by Lauren Fortescue, including a pair of three-pointers.
- Salisbury shot an impressive 63.2 percent from the field and 40 percent from beyond while converting all four of its free-throw attempts in the quarter.
- The maroon and gold continued to roll in the second quarter, outscoring Catholic 14-8 to take a healthy 44-24 lead into the locker room. Kolby Brown's three-pointer with 8:07 remaining initiated the Salisbury scoring which featured baskets from five different Sea Gulls and included a Kylie Webb three with under two minutes to go.
- Salisbury opened the third quarter with a 10-3 run over the first five minutes. Dilger led the charge with six points while Jada Welbon and Kaylee Otlowski each chipped in a basket.
- A Welbon three-pointer with 3:51 remaining in the quarter pushed Salisbury's lead to 30. The Sea Gulls matched a pair of baskets with the Cardinals in the closing minutes to hold their 30-point lead at 61-31 as time expired in the third period.
- Both offenses went quiet in the fourth quarter with Salisbury focusing on defending its large lead. Another Welbon three was the only Sea Gull basket across the first five minutes, but the team also managed to hold the Cardinals to only two field goals during that same span.
- The next basket wouldn't come until a Brown layup with 2:22 left in the game. Brown hit another three a little over a minute later while Welbon capped off the evening's scoring on a layup with 51 seconds to go to secure the 74-39 victory.
- Six Sea Gulls reached double-digits in points with Lauren Fortescue's 14 points to lead the way. Emily Dilger finished with 12 points while Kaylee Otlowski, Jada Welbon, Kolby Brown and Kylie Webb all scored 10 points in the win.
- Otlowski also locked up her second double-double of the season with a team-high 13 rebounds.
- Otlowski and Amber Onyekwere tied with a team-high six assists.
- Onyekwere and Brown led the teams with four steals apiece.
- The team finished 46.9 percent from the field, 38.1 percent from three, and 75 percent from the line.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Cardinals had won each of their first seven contests to open the season coming into tonight and had begun to receive votes in multiple national polls.
- The last time Salisbury defeated Catholic was back on November 26, 2017 – a 59-34 road victory. The Cardinals topped the Sea Gulls last season at Maggs Gym, 61-47 on December 5, 2018.
- With a 79-36 win over Wesley last Tuesday, this marks the first time since the 2016-17 season in which the Sea Gulls have won back-to-back games by 30 or more points. That season they defeated St. Mary's 72-36 on November 30, 2016, then followed it up with a 72-39 victory over Penn State-Harrisburg on December 3, 2016.