Posted: May 18, 2021
SALISBURY, Md. – Four Salisbury University track and field athletes competed to boost their national standings at the Salisbury University Final Qualifier Meet on Tuesday afternoon at the SU Track & Field Complex.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Zachary Stump made Sea Gull history by breaking the school pole vault record for the second time this season. He cleared 4.93 meters (16-2), surpassing the SU record that he set at the Eastern Shore Challenge on April 10 by 0.05 meters (two inches).
- Stump's mark, which also goes down as a new Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) record, puts him in line to qualify the NCAA Championships with the seventh-best men's pole vault height in Division III.
- Colleen Howard continued her march toward the NCAA Championships in the high jump, clearing 1.63 meters (5-4.25). Howard's school-record personal best of 1.74 meters (5-8.5), set at the Eastern Shore Challenge on April 10, is still tied for the best women's high jump mark in Division III.
- Luis Smith competed in two field events, managing 12.86 meters (42-2.25) in the shot put and 41.44 meters (135-11) in the hammer throw.
- Brian Duperval managed a distance of 13.83 meters (45-4.25) in the shot put.
- Should national results hold, Stump and Howard will head to Irwin Belk Track at North Carolina A&T State University in Greensboro, N.C., for the NCAA Division III Outdoor Track & Field National Championships on May 27-29.
- Men's pole vault preliminaries and finals will start on Thursday, May 27, at 3:30 p.m.
- Women's high jump preliminaries and finals are set for Friday, May 28, at 11:30 a.m.