SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University track and field teams turned in excellent showings at the outdoor season-opening Lloyd Sigler Spring Meet, as the men's and women's squads finished first in a combined 26 events and each ran away with first place at the SU Track & Field Complex.
The Sea Gull women finished with 103 points in 17 events, topping second-place Catholic (51) and third-place Marymount (Va.) . The Sea Gull men totaled 128 points in their 17 events, besting second-place Marymount (22) and third-place Catholic (11).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury earned first-place finishes in four running events. Heather Delaplaine broke the tape in the 1,500-meter run (5:16.97) while Alyssa Santoro broke 20 minutes in the 5,000-meter run (19:52.06).
- Danielle Jensen won both of her hurdling races, recording a 16.74-second time in the 100-meter hurdles and 1:14.82 in the 400-meter hurdles.
- Colleen Howard set a personal best in the high jump, winning with a height of 1.68 meters (5-6.). Sophia Crozier-Carole won the pole vault, clearing 2.75 meters (9-0.25).
- Jensen came in strong in her two jumping events, topping the long jump with 4.86 meters (15-11.5) and the triple jump with 10.30 meters (33-9.5).
- Makayla Davis and Alexandra Jakubowski both shined in their field events. Davis won the shot put (9.84m, 32-3.5) and discus throw (29.32m, 96-2), while Jakubowski earned top finish in the hammer throw (32.75m, 107-5) and javelin throw (24.37m, 79-11).
- Salisbury swept every single running event. Jacob Shelton eked out a win in the 100-meter dash (11.30 seconds) while Sherrod Frye edged out a couple of teammates in the 200-meter dash (24.17 seconds). In the 400-meter dash, Nazaire Spencer won with a time of 52.06 seconds.
- Ryan Temple won the 800-meter run in 2:02.35 while Matt Grossi broke the tape in the 1,500-meter run in 4:17.85, and Jason Cave finished tops in the 5,000-meter run in 15:39.29.
- Caleb Mable earned first place in the 110-meter hurdles (16.32 seconds).
- In the 4x400-meter relay, the Sea Gull team of Mike Heinz, Temple, Luke Stout and Brian Hufford earned first place with a time of 3:37.19.
- In the jumps, Andrew McGinley cleared 1.90 meters (6-2.75) to win the high jump, while Zion Wamley won the long jump at 6.53 meters (21-5.25) and Frye topped the triple jump at 12.61 meters (41-4.50).
- Brian Duperval helped the Sea Gulls sweep the field events, winning both the shot put (14.04m, 46-0.75) and discus throw (34.67m, 113-9).
- Travis Zimmerman earned best marks in the hammer throw (40.17m, 131-9) and Cameron Hasko topped the Javelin throw (51.89m, 170-3).
- Salisbury returns to the SU Track & Field Complex on Saturday, March 13, to host the Salisbury University Spring Meet.
- The meet is set to begin at 11 a.m. and will be the second of five the Sea Gulls host this outdoor season.