NEWPORT NEWS, Va. – The second-ranked Salisbury University softball team opened the 2022 Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) Tournament with a split of two games on Thursday. The Sea Gulls started the day with a 6-2 victory over Mary Washington before falling to No. 1 CNU, 5-0, in the second game.
HOW IT HAPPENED – UMW
- Natalie Paoli put the Sea Gulls on the board in the opening inning of the tournament. After Lindsey Windsor reached first on a throwing error and stole second, Paoli roped a triple down the right-field line.
- Mary Washington tied the game at one in the top of the second inning with a Grace Drury RBI single to score Emma Schieda.
- The tie didn't last as Francesca Cuttitta launched a solo home run to left-center to give SU the 2-1 lead in the bottom of the second.
- Abby Mace doubled the Salisbury lead to 3-1 in the bottom of the fourth with an RBI single to score Carly Galbraith.
- The Sea Gulls tacked on insurance runs in the top of the fifth, all with two outs in the inning. Madi Lemon hit an RBI single to left to plate Maddison Lednum. A batter later, Mace drove in two runs on another RBI single to left field to push Salisbury's lead to 6-1.
- Mary Washington got a run in the sixth on a passed ball but Savannah Sheats closed out the Eagles in the final two innings.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES VS. UMW
- Natalie Paoli was a home run away from the cycle. She was 3-for-4 with an RBI.
- Abby Mace drove in three runs and recorded a pair of hits.
- Francesca Cuttitta hit her first home run of the season in the second inning.
- Lindsey Windsor (W, 15-0) struck out four and scattered three hits and an unearned run. Savannah Sheats came in the final two innings of the game and struck out three.
HOW IT HAPPENED – CNU
- CNU got on the board in the second inning with an RBI single by Maddie Hool. Brooke Greaver slid under the tag of Emily Stockman to give CNU the 1-0 lead.
- Home runs by Greaver and Bailey Roberts extended Salisbury's lead to 4-0 in the third inning.
- Brooke Childress added a run for CNU in the sixth on an infield single that extended the lead to 5-0.
- Meghan Reed doubled down the right-field line in the seventh inning and advanced to third on a flyout to right. But she was stranded at third after a pop out to close out the game.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Natalie Paoli continued the hot-hitting from the opening game, going 2-for-3 in the nightcap.
- Meghan Reed and Maddison Lednum also collected hits.
- Salisbury will square off with the Mary Washington Eagles in an elimination game on Friday at 10 a.m.
- The winner of the elimination game with face CNU following the game at approximately 12:30 p.m.
Salisbury University is a proud member of NCAA Division III with primary membership in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference, along with the New Jersey Athletic Conference for football and the Metropolitan Swimming and Diving Conference for men's and women's swimming. With over 500 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports, SU is recognized as one of the most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs regardless of division, and dedicated coaches and staff that foster excellence on-and-off the field. The Sea Gulls have celebrated 22 team national championships, 24 individual national champions, 186 conference championships and 41 Academic All-Americans.
To learn more about the tradition of excellence with Sea Gull Athletics, visit www.SUSeaGulls.com or on social media @SUSeaGulls.