SALISBURY, Md. - For the second consecutive series, the second-ranked Salisbury University softball team blanked its opponents in a doubleheader. This time, the Sea Gulls shut out the Ithaca Bombers and the Muhlenberg Mules on the second day of the SU Tournament on Saturday to improve to 18-2 on the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED – ITHACA
- Salisbury got the scoring going in the second inning. Maddison Lednum led off the inning with a single to right before Carly Galbraith moved her over a sacrifice bunt. Two batters later, Ellen Stockman plated Lednum on a sacrifice fly to right.
- A successful squeeze play doubled Salisbury's lead in the fifth inning. Lindsey Windsor laid down a perfect bunt in between the circle and home to allow Francesca Cuttitta to score from third.
- Lednum added insurance for Salisbury in the sixth inning with a double down to the left field line that scored Kat Nashold from first base.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Lindsey Windsor (W, 8-0) dominated opposing hitters for the second-straight game. She allowed only one hit and one walk with four strikeouts in a complete-game shutout.
- Lauren Meyers and Maddison Lednum both went 2-for-3 to lead the offense.
HOW IT HAPPENED – MUHLENBERG
- Playing as the away team, Salisbury started the game with a run in the first. A leadoff walk by Abby Mace eventually led to a Maddison Lednum RBI single that gave Salisbury the 1-0 lead.
- Lindsey Windsor tallied her second RBI of the day in the fourth inning on an RBI single that plated Kat Nashold after she roped a double down the left-field line.
- Lednum doubled up Salisbury's lead in the fifth inning with a two-run shot over the left-field wall to extend Salisbury's lead to 4-0.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES – MUHLENBERG
- Maddison Lednum hit her first home run of the season with the two-run home run in the fifth inning. She drove in three runs in the nightcap.
- Nicole Ortega (W, 3-1) pitched five strong innings. She only allowed two hits and a walk with a strikeout.
- Savannah Sheats pitched the final two innings and struck out three.
- Salisbury concludes the three-day tournament against Susquehanna and Marymount on Sunday.
- The Sea Gulls begin the day against Marymount at 1 p.m. at Sea Gull Softball Stadium.
Salisbury University is a proud member of NCAA Division III with primary membership in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference, along with the New Jersey Athletic Conference for football and the Metropolitan Swimming and Diving Conference for men's and women's swimming. With over 500 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports, SU is recognized as one of the most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs regardless of division, and dedicated coaches and staff that foster excellence on-and-off the field. The Sea Gulls have celebrated 22 team national championships, 24 individual national champions, 186 conference championships and 41 Academic All-Americans.
To learn more about the tradition of excellence with Sea Gull Athletics, visit www.SUSeaGulls.com or on social media @SUSeaGulls.