SALISBURY, Md. – Salisbury University junior pitcher Lindsey Windsor was unhittable and threw the 53rd no-hitter in SU softball history as the second-ranked Sea Gulls began its annual three-day tournament with a doubleheader sweep over the Lynchburg Hornets on Friday. Windsor's no-hitter and a three-run first inning fueled Salisbury's 5-0 win in the opener before a seven-run first inning in the nightcap led to an 8-0 run-rule win in Game 2.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- Back-to-back singles by Abby Mace and Lindsey Windsor led to a two-run triple by Natalie Paoli to open the scoring in the first. A batter later, Lauren Meyers doubled to score Paoli to push the lead to 3-0.
- Maddison Lednum led off the third inning with a single and Carly Galbraith moved her over on a sacrifice bunt, Ellen Stockman poked a single to right field to plate Lednum from second base.
- Windsor helped her own cause in the bottom of the sixth when she reached on an infield single and Francesca Cuttitta came around to score from first base on a throwing error by the Lynchburg shortstop to extend SU's lead to 5-0.
- Windsor completed her no-hitter in style as she fielded a comebacker and made the out at first to put herself in the record books.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES – GAME 1
- Lindsey Windsor (W, 7-0) threw only 72 pitches and 56 strikes in her no-hit bid. Windsor pitched one-over the minimum with only two base runners reached base with an error in the fourth, which was erased with a double play on the next pitch, and a hit batter in the fifth. She struck out six in the victory.
- Windsor, Abby Mace and Maddison Lednum all tallied two hits with a run scored. Mace hit a double in the first inning.
- Lauren Meyers extended her national lead in doubles with her 13th two-base hit of the season.
- Ellen Stockman's first collegiate hit was the RBI single in the third inning.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- Salisbury got out to a fast start again in Game 2 by batting around and scoring seven runs in the first inning.
- The first inning was highlighted by RBI doubles by Maddison Lednum and Francesca Cuttitta and a two-run double by Meghan Reed that gave the Sea Gulls the 7-0 lead.
- The Sea Gulls capitalized on miscues in the field by the Hornets to invoke the run-rule. With the bases loaded, Abby Mace roped a single to the right-center gap to score Sydney Duplissey from third and walk-off winners.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES – GAME 2
- Francesca Cuttitta was a perfect 2-for-2 with a run scored and an RBI on her double in the first.
- Maddison Lednum also notched two hits with a run and a run driven in.
- Savannah Sheats (W, 7-1) pitched five innings with five strikeouts. She only allowed three hits and a pair of walks in the win.
- Salisbury is back in action tomorrow for the second day of the SU Tournament against Ithaca and Muhlenberg.
- The day begins against the Ithaca Bombers at 1 p.m. at Sea Gull Softball Stadium.