COLUMBUS, Ga. – The eighth-ranked Salisbury University softball team swept the second day of the National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) Leadoff Classic on Saturday. Salisbury began the day with a 4-2 win over Piedmont before closing out the day with a 7-5 victory over Central (IA).
HOW IT HAPPENED – PIEDMONT
- After a pitchers' duel in the first three innings, Piedmont scored first in the top of the fourth on a sacrifice fly by Madison Henry.
- Salisbury responded with two runs in the bottom half of the fourth. Maddison Lednum roped a triple to right that plated Kat Nashold. A batter later, Carly Galbraith brought home Lednum with an RBI single.
- After Emily Challender was hit by pitched and advanced to second on a wild pitch, Lindsey Windsor scored Challender on an RBI single in the fifth to push Salisbury's lead to 3-1.
- Piedmont cut the lead in half, 3-2, in the sixth with an RBI groundout by Kara Taylor.
- Galbraith gave Salisbury insurance in the sixth with an RBI single that scored Natalie Paoli to put the lead back up to two, 4-2.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES VS. PIEDMONT
- Carly Galbraith was a perfect 3-for-3 with a pair of RBIs.
- Maddison Lednum had a double and run batted in.
- Lindsey Windsor (W, 6-0) continues to roll with a complete-game effort. She struck out two for the sixth win of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED – CENTRAL
- Central got on the board first with three runs in the bottom of the first.
- Salisbury quickly tied the game at three in the top of the second. Emily Stockman led off the inning with a double before Windsor brought her home with an RBi single to center. Abby Mace followed with a two-run home run to left field.
- Salisbury picked up the one-run lead, 5-3, in the sixth inning when Central threw the ball away on a double steal to allow Windsor and Mace to score
- Another leadoff double by Stockman led to a two-run home run by Windsor to extend Salisbury's lead.
- Central got two runs back in the seventh but Windsor got the final two outs on strikeouts to end the game.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES VS. CENTRAL
- Emily Stockman went 3-for-4 with two doubles and two runs scored.
- Abby Mace and Lindsey Windsor each hit two-run homers in the victory.
- Savannah Sheats (W, 5-1) earned the win. She only allowed one earned run (four unearned) and struck out five.
- Windsor (SV, 2) earned the save with a pair of strikeouts.
- Salisbury concludes the NFCA Leadoff Classic on Sunday against No. 20 Linfield and No. 15 St. John Fisher.
- The day is scheduled to begin at 9 a.m.
Salisbury University is a proud member of NCAA Division III with primary membership in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference, along with the New Jersey Athletic Conference for football and the Metropolitan Swimming and Diving Conference for men's and women's swimming. With over 500 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports, SU is recognized as one of the most competitive intercollegiate athletics programs regardless of division, and dedicated coaches and staff that foster excellence on-and-off the field. The Sea Gulls have celebrated 22 team national championships, 24 individual national champions, 186 conference championships and 41 Academic All-Americans.
To learn more about the tradition of excellence with Sea Gull Athletics, visit www.SUSeaGulls.com or on social media @SUSeaGulls.