MARSHALL, Texas – The ninth-ranked Salisbury University softball team was on the opposite end of a fifth-inning rally by the seventh-ranked East Texas Baptist Tigers, falling 2-1 in an elimination game on the final day of the 2021 NCAA Division III Softball Regionals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury scored first in the third inning when Abby Mace took the first pitch she saw from ETBU's Preslye Cox and sent it over the left-center field wall.
- ETBU took the 2-1 lead in the fifth inning when Sarah Cedillo scored with the bases loaded on an error and Mariah Delgado scored later in the inning on a sacrifice fly by Tristen Maddox.
- The Sea Gulls couldn't get anything going in the late goings and fell to the Tigers, 2-1.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Abby Mace hit her 14th home run of the season and went 2-for-3 in the leadoff spot.
- Natalie Paoli and Maddison Lednum each tallied a hit with Paoli smacking a double in the fourth inning.
- Savannah Sheats (L, 11-4) didn't allow an earned run (two unearned) in a complete-game effort.
- Sarah Cedillo and Mariah Delgado each went 2-for-4 with a run scored from the 1-2 spots in the lineup.
- Savannah Buhl (W, 2-0) earned the win with 3.2 innings of shutout relief of Preslye Cox.
- Salisbury finishes the 2021 season with a 25-9 record and champions of the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference.
- Salisbury qualified for its 23rd NCAA Tournament under first-year head coach Lacey Lord.