WAUKESHA, Wisc. – Trailing 6-2 heading into the bottom of the sixth inning, the T-12th-ranked Salisbury University softball team scored six runs in the sixth to take down the T-12th-ranked Christopher Newport Captains, 8-6, in the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) Championship Series. With the win, Salisbury earned its 20th conference title in program history.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury took the early 1-0 lead in the first inning after an RBI double to right-center by Natalie Paoli scored Abby Mace from second base.
- SU's lead was doubled to 2-0 in the third inning when Madeira Alexander came around to score on a single by Lauren Meyers.
- Six runs were scored by CNU in top of the fourth inning, highlighted by a three-run home run by Kaitlyn Hasty to take a 6-2 lead.
- CNU's six-run inning was countered with a six-run Salisbury frame in the bottom of the sixth inning. The inning began with a double by Madi Lemon followed by a Sami Mumford walk. Mace cleared the bases with a three-run home run to left field.
- After a walk by Kaleigh Edwards, Maddison Lednum reached on a throwing error by the third baseman, which allowed Edwards to score from third base to tie the game at six.
- Salisbury took the 8-6 lead with a two-run home run by Alexander.
- CNU got two runners on and the go-ahead run at the plate before Lindsey Windsor got out of the inning with the last out being a groundout to Paoli at short.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Madeira Alexander went 3-for-3 with the go-ahead two-run home run in the sixth. She scored twice in the victory.
- Abby Mace tallied two hits in the leadoff spot with the three-run home run in the sixth. Mace also scored twice with a stolen base.
- Madi Lemon and Maddison Lednum each registered a pair of hits.
- Savannah Sheats (W, 10-3) earned the victory after six strong innings with two strikeouts.
- Lindsey Windsor picked up her second save on the season after a scoreless seventh inning.
CNU GAME NOTES
- Caitlin Abernethy went 3-for-3 with two runs driven in.
- Kaitlyn Hasty hit a three-run home run for the Captains.
- Salisbury earned the C2C's automatic bid into the NCAA Division III Championship Tournament.
- The selection show is scheduled for Monday, May 17 at 1 p.m. on NCAA.com.