WAUKESHA. Wisc. – The 12th-ranked Salisbury University softball team began the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) Championship Series in a big way with a 9-1 five-inning run-rule victory over the Southern Virginia Knights on Thursday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern Virginia took the early lead when Whitney Lofthouse scored from third on a dropped third strike and delayed steal play in the first inning.
- Salisbury tied the game at one in the bottom of the first when Abby Mace led off the game with a double, was moved over to third on a sacrifice bunt by Lindsey Windsor and Kaleigh Edwards brought her home with an infield single.
- The Sea Gulls took a 3-1 lead in the bottom of the second with an RBI single by Alissa Saverino. Saverino scored later in the inning on an error by the Southern Virginia left fielder.
- Maddison Lednum led off the bottom of the third inning with a solo shot to center field to push Salisbury's lead to 4-1.
- A five-run fifth inning invoked the run rule. The fifth was highlighted by an RBI single by Francesca Cuttitta and a three-run walk-off by Mace.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Salisbury scored in every inning but the fourth.
- Abby Mace led the way with a 3-3 with a three-run home run, a double, a stolen base and a pair of runs scored.
- Maddison Lednum hit her second home run of the year with the solo home run in the third. She also scored twice in the victory.
- Lindsey Windsor (W, 10-3) earned the win with a complete-game effort. She scattered two hits and struck out eight Knights while only allowed a walk and an earned run.
SOUTHERN VIRGINIA GAME NOTES
- Whitney Lofthouse and Abigail Harris collected the lone two hits for Southern Virginia.
- Krystal Kemp (L, 4-9) was saddled with the loss. She gave up eight hits and four runs (three earned) in four innings of work.
- Salisbury advances to face No. 12 Christopher Newport in the C2C Semifinals on Friday, May 7.
- The game is scheduled to begin at 3:30 p.m. / 2:30 p.m. CT.