SALISBURY, Md. – The 12th-ranked Salisbury University softball team secured the top seed in the upcoming Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) Championship Series with a doubleheader sweep of the Southern Virginia Knights on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- Salisbury struck first in the bottom of the first inning when Maddison Lednum singled through the left side to score Lindsey Windsor from second base.
- Abby Mace doubled up Salisbury's lead to 2-0 in the second inning with a two-bagger down the left-field line to plate Alissa Saverino.
- Caitlin Barber cut Salisbury's lead in half with a solo home run over the center-field fence in the top of the fourth.
- Salisbury responded to the Southern Virginia home run with four runs in the bottom half of the fourth. Sami Mumford hit a two-run single to left followed by two-out RBIs by Lednum and Kaleigh Edwards to push the lead up to 6-1.
- Salisbury put the run rule in effect in the bottom of the fifth inning. BK Hewitt scored after she stole third and advanced home on an error by the SVU catcher. Saverino would score later in the inning on a wild pitch. The game ended on an RBI groundout by Lednum that plated Mumford for the 9-1 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- Salisbury scored in every inning to secure the 10-0 win in Game 2.
- After Mace started the game with a single and a stolen base, Edwards brought her in with a two-run bomb over the left-field fence and onto Division Street. Later in the inning, Lauren Meyers roped a double to left field to score Meghan Reed and give Salisbury the 3-0 lead after one inning.
- Not to be outdone by Edwards's longball in the first, Mace connected with her own two-run home run to left in the second inning to put SU up 5-0.
- Madeira Alexander led off the third inning with a solo dinger to left-center field.
- Salisbury put the run rule in effect against with a four-run fourth inning. Mumford led the fourth with a double to left before Mace launched her second two-run home run of the game. After an Edwards walk and a Jillian Jones single, Alexander cleared the bases with a two-run triple to center field to extend Salisbury's lead to 10-0.
- Alyssa Taylor shut down the Knights in the top of the fifth with a three-up, three-down inning.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Abby Mace, Madeira Alexander and Kaleigh Edwards led the offense with four hits apiece. Mace hit two home runs in the nightcap along with a double in the opener to total five RBIs in the doubleheader. Alexander and Edwards also homered in Game 2 and each tripled during the twinbill.
- Maddison Lednum drove in three runs on two hits in the opener.
- Alissa Saverino touched home three times in Game 1 and tallied two hits.
- Sami Mumford drove in a pair of runs in Game 1.
- Lindsey Windsor (W, 9-3) pitched a complete game in Game 1. She only allowed one run on three hits and a walk and struck out four.
- Savannah Sheats (W, 8-3) sat down six Knights on strikes and scattered five hits in four innings of work in the doubleheader finale.
- Alyssa Taylor entered the game in relief of Sheats and sat down Southern Virginia in order with two strikeouts.
- Salisbury is scheduled to be back in action in the three-day C2C Championship Series, which starts on May 6 in Waukesha, Wisc.
- The times of the games are to be determined.