Posted: Apr 18, 2021
ASHLAND, Va. – The eighth-ranked Salisbury University softball team dropped a pair of games on the road against the 19th-ranked Randolph-Macon Yellowjackets on Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- Salisbury scored first when Abby Mace sent a solo home run over the left-field fence in the third inning.
- Kat Nashold doubled Salisbury's lead, 2-0, in the top of the fifth when she scored from third on Mace's sacrifice fly to center field.
- Randolph-Macon came back and batted around in the sixth inning with six runs to take the opener.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- After Mace walked to lead off the game and Lindsey Windsor reached on a bunt single to advance Mace to third, Natalie Paoli drove Mace in with a bunt that Mace beat the throw home to open the scoring in the first.
- Mace put Salisbury up 3-0 in the second inning with a two-run home run to right.
- Randolph-Macon loaded the bases with no outs in the bottom of the second but Savannah Sheats worked out of the threat with three straight groundouts and held RMC scoreless.
- Rilee Baughan put the Yellowjackets on the board with a two-run homer in the fifth inning.
- Randolph-Macon walked off winners in the bottom of the seventh when Ali Celiberti tied the game on a sacrifice fly then Olivia Owens ended the game with an RBI single down the left-field line.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Abby Mace hits home runs in both games to take the conference lead in home runs with nine. Mace also scored three runs in the doubleheader.
- Natalie Paoli went 2-for-2 in the opener with a double. In Game 2, Paoli drove in a run on a fielder's choice.
- Kaleigh Edwards doubled in the nightcap.
- Salisbury will wrap up the regular season with a Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference doubleheader against the Southern Virginia Knights on Saturday, April 24.
- The games are set to begin at 1 p.m.
- Prior to the doubleheader, Salisbury will honor the graduating seniors for Senior Day.