SALISBURY, Md. – A combined nine home runs were hit in a top-15 matchup at Sea Gull Softball Stadium on Saturday but the eighth-ranked Salisbury University softball team's seven blasts on the day powered a doubleheader sweep over the 11th-ranked Christopher Newport Captains to improve to 19-5 and 4-0 in Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C).
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- CNU got two runners to scoring position in the top of the second inning with two outs. Lindsey Windsor worked out of the jam and forced Katie Curran to ground out to end the inning.
- Madeira Alexander set the tone of the day with a solo home run over the left-field fence in the bottom of the second inning.
- CNU got another runner to scoring position in the third inning but once again Windsor worked out of the threat and forced Bailey Roberts to strike out.
- Abby Mace led off the third inning with a moonshot onto Division Street beyond the left-field fence. Later in the inning, Windsor and Kaleigh Edwards came around to score on an error by the CNU shortstop to put Salisbury up 4-0 in the third.
- After a one-out double by Natalie Paoli, Lauren Meyers cracked a two-run bomb to left-center field to put Salisbury up 6-0 in the fifth.
- Edwards ended the game early in the sixth inning with a two-run home run over the center-field fence to invoke the run-rule.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- Just like how the opener ended, Edwards began the nightcap with a homer to left field in the first inning.
- Back-to-back home runs pushed Salisbury's lead to 4-0 in the third inning. Maddison Lednum hit a two-run dinger to center followed by Paoli with a blast over the center-field fence.
- CNU got into the home run derby in the fourth and fifth innings when Caitlyn Abernethy and Patty-Maye Ohanian hit solo home runs to cut Salisbury's lead in half, 4-2.
- Salisbury added three insurance runs in the sixth inning with RBIs by Madi Lemon and Windsor followed by Jillian Jones scoring from third on a wild pitch.
- Windsor forced a ground ball double play with the last out at third to seal the doubleheader sweep.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Salisbury totaled 11 extra-base hits, including seven home runs, in the doubleheader. Salisbury hit a season-high four home runs in the opener.
- Kaleigh Edwards hit two home runs and tallied three hits with two RBIs in the doubleheader. Edwards ended the game in the opener with a walk-off two-run shot in the sixth.
- Maddison Lednum registered four hits while Madeira Alexander collected three knocks in the twinbill.
- Lednum, Alexander, Natalie Paoli, Abby Mace and Lauren Meyers each homered in the doubleheader
- Lindsey Windsor (8-1, SV 1) pitched her third consecutive complete-game shutout in Game 1 and collected her first collegiate save in Game 2. In her two appearances, Windsor scattered four hits and struck out five batters. At the plate, Windsor scored two runs and drove in a run.
- Savannah Sheats (7-3) only allowed four hits in five innings in Game 2. Sheats gave up two earned runs and four hits but struck out four Captains.
- Salisbury will be back in action tomorrow in Ashland, Va. against No. 19 Randolph-Macon.
- The doubleheader is scheduled to start at 1 p.m.