LYNCHBURG, Va. – The fifth-ranked Salisbury University softball team split a Sunday non-conference doubleheader with the Lynchburg Hornets to snap the Sea Gulls 15-game winning streak. Salisbury shut out Lynchburg 7-0 in the opener before falling in a high-scoring affair in the nightcap, 13-8.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- Lynchburg got a runner to third with no outs in the first inning. Karle Cundiff laid down a bunt on a squeeze play but Kaleigh Edwards made the heads up to play to tag out the runner advancing home. Lindsey Windsor then retired the next two batters to get out of the inning.
- Four runs scored in the top of the third to start the scoring for Salisbury. Windsor singled and stole her way to third before scoring on a wild pitch. Maddison Lednum brought Edwards home on a single up the middle. Natalie Paoli followed with an RBI triple and Lauren Meyers laced an RBI double to put SU ahead 4-0.
- Abby Mace tacked on a run in the fourth on a run-scoring double to center in the fourth.
- After Lednum reached on a single to right, Paoli smacked a home run over the left-field fence to put Salisbury up 7-0.
- Lynchburg looked to score in the bottom of the fifth with two runners on and one out but Windsor worked out of danger with two groundouts.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- It didn't take long for Salisbury to get on the board as the maroon and gold batted around and plated five runs, all with two outs, in the first inning.
- The first inning was highlighted by back-to-back run-scoring doubles by Meyers and Sami Mumford.
- Lynchburg trimmed the deficit to 5-1 in the bottom of the first when Grace Dooley was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to score Kayla Hugate from third.
- Salisbury got the run back in the top of the second when Edwards scored from third on a wild pitch.
- The Hornets nodded the game at six in the second inning off of defensive miscues by the Sea Gulls.
- Lynchburg took the 7-6 lead in the third when Kaleigh Hackett came around to score on a bases-loaded walk.
- Madi Lemon tied the game up at seven in a big way with a solo homer to left field in the fifth inning.
- However, Lynchburg responded with three runs in the fifth and sixth innings to take a 13-7 lead heading to the final at-bats for Salisbury,
- Lemon allowed Salisbury to get a run back with an RBI single to left field to score BK Hewitt to get the game to its final margin, 13-8.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- In the circle, Lindsey Windsor earned her seventh win of the season and second shutout in as many days in the opener. Windsor scattered three hits and only allowed a walk but struck out three batters. At the plate, Windsor notched three hits on the day.
- Natalie Paoli went 2-for-3 in the opener with a home run, a triple, three RBIs and two runs scored.
- Maddison Lednum also tallied a pair of hits in the opener with two runs scored.
- Madi Lemon tallied a perfect 3-for-3 at the plate in Game 2 with a home run, two RBIs and a run scored.
- Lauren Meyers drove in a pair of runs with a two-run double in Game 2.
- Salisbury returns to the nest on Saturday, April 17 with a crucial Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference doubleheader with No. 6 Christopher Newport.
- The games are set to begin at 1 p.m.