FREDERICKSBURG, Va. – The fifth-ranked Salisbury University softball team swept the Mary Washington Eagles in a doubleheader to open Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference (C2C) play. Saturday's sweep pushed Salisbury's win streak to 14 games.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- Salisbury got some two-out magic in the top of the third inning. Jillian Jones doubled down the left-field line before Abby Mace drove her home with a single to center field.
- Mary Washington got the bases loaded in the bottom half of the third but Lindsey Windsor worked out the jam by striking out Emma Schieda.
- The Sea Gulls added insurance in the sixth. Windsor singled to lead off the sixth and stole her way to third base, Maddison Lednum drove her home on a fielder's choice. Later in the inning, BK Hewitt stole third and advanced home on a passed ball. Raegan Smith gave Salisbury the 4-0 lead when she scored on a Madeira Alexander groundout.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- It didn't take long for Salisbury to get on the board as SU took a 2-0 lead in the first inning. Windsor hit a two-run home run to left field to get the scoring started.
- Windsor stretched Salisbury's lead to 3-0 in the second inning on an RBI single that scored Mace.
- Mary Washington got a run back in the bottom of the second on an error in center field.
- Salisbury got the run back and more when Salisbury scored 11 runs in the final two innings of the game. Salisbury scored five runs in the fourth and six runs in the fifth.
- The fifth inning was highlighted by RBI doubles by Alexander and Kaleigh Edwards along with a two-run triple by Natalie Paoli.
- Edwards smacked a two-run home run over the center-field fence to extend Salisbury's lead to 10-1 to start the scoring in the fifth. Later in the inning with the bases loaded, Francesca Cuttitta hit a grand slam over the left-field fence.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Lindsey Windsor got it done at the plate and in the circle for Salisbury. Windsor collected four hits in the doubleheader, including three knocks in the nightcap. Windsor earned her sixth win of the season with her second shutout of the season. She struck out eight Eagles and only allowed two walks and two hits.
- Abby Mace also notched four hits in the twinbill. She hit two doubles and scored three runs in Game 2.
- Francesca Cuttitta hit her first career home run with a grand slam in Game 2.
- Kaleigh Edwards hit her fifth home run of the season with a two-run shot in the fifth inning of the nightcap. Edwards drove in three and scored twice in the contest.
- Savannah Sheats earned the win in Game 2 to record her sixth win of the season.
- Salisbury will wrap up the weekend Virginia trip with a doubleheader tomorrow against Lynchburg.
- The games are set to begin at 12 p.m.