SALISBURY, Md. – The sixth-ranked Salisbury University softball team scored a pair of run-rule victories over the Division II Bowie State Bulldogs on Friday to extend its win streak to 12 games. Salisbury batted around in the first and second innings on its way to a 14-1 five-inning win over Bowie State in the opener. In the nightcap, Salisbury walked off winners over Bowie St. in the sixth with an 8-0 six-inning victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- Abby Mace started the game in a big way with a lead-off home run over the center-field fence.
- A two-run double by Lindsey Windsor and RBIs by Meghan Reed and Jillian Jones helped fuel a six-run first inning for Salisbury.
- Salisbury batted around again in the bottom of the second inning and scored seven runs in the frame. The inning was highlighted by Mace's second home run in as many innings with a two-run bomb to left-center.
- SU scored for the final time in the bottom of the third when Nicole Ortega reached on a fielding error by the Bowie St. first baseman which allowed Kat Nashold to score from third base.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- For the second-straight game, Salisbury batted around in the first inning. After drawing a lead-off walk, Mace stole two bases and scored on a throwing error by the catcher.
- RBI singles by Reed and Jones pushed Salisbury's lead up to 4-0 after the first.
- Bowie State got a runner in scoring position in the fourth and sixth inning but Savannah Sheats worked out of trouble with nothing across.
- Salisbury grew cold in the middle innings but came alive in the bottom of the sixth to the tune of four runs.
- Breann Smith blooped a two-run single down the left-field line to score Sami Mumford and BK Hewitt.
- A batter later, Madi Lemon ended the game with a two-run home run to left field to invoke the run rule.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- All of the Salisbury starters collected at least one hit in the doubleheader.
- Abby Mace and Kaleigh Edwards each tallied three hits and two runs scored in the opener. Mace hit a pair of home runs with three RBIs to push her season home run total to six. Edwards notched two doubles in Game 1.
- Lindsey Windsor also drove in three runs in the opener.
- Jillian Jones went 2-for-2 with a triple.
- Breann Smith plated two runs in the nightcap.
- Madi Lemon collected her second home run of the season with the walk-off in Game 2.
- Alexis Black earned her first win of the season with an inning of scoreless relief with two strikeouts.
- Savannah Sheats struck out eight and scattered three hits with a walk to notch her fifth win of the season in Game 2.
- Salisbury begins Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference play on Saturday, April 10 with a road doubleheader against the Mary Washington Eagles.
- The doubleheader is set to begin at 1 p.m. in Fredericksburg, Va.