SALISBURY, Md. – The sixth-ranked Salisbury University softball team extended its winning streak to 10 games with a doubleheader sweep over the University of Mary Washington Eagles on Saturday. The Sea Gulls open the day with a 3-0 shutout of the Eagles before a 6-1 win in the nightcap.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- Salisbury capitalized on errors in back-to-back innings to plate runs in the first and second innings. After Abby Mace reached on an error and advanced to third on a stolen base and passed ball in the first, Kaleigh Edwards brought Mace home on an RBI groundout.
- Lauren Meyers led off the second by reaching base on another Eagle error. BK Hewitt entered the game as a pinch-runner for Meyers and stole second and third base. Then, Sami Mumford followed with an RBI groundout to put Salisbury up 2-0 after two.
- SU loaded the bases in the third inning with one out. Meghan Reed plated a run on a fielder choice that scored Edwards from third.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- Mary Washington got on the board with a Bridget Laychak RBI single in the top of the first.
- It didn't take long for Salisbury to regain the lead as Edwards cranked a two-run long ball over the left-field fence in the bottom half of the first to give the Sea Gulls the 2-1 lead.
- In the top of the second inning, Savannah Sheats pitched an immaculate inning with three strikeouts on nine pitches.
- An RBI double to left-center by Mace followed by an RBI single to center by Natalie Paoli stretched the Salisbury lead to 4-1 in the second.
- Meyers opened the third with a double to right-center and Reed brought in Hewitt, who pinch ran for Meyers, with a single up the middle.
- Paoli gave SU insurance in the sixth with a two-out RBI single to score Francesca Cuttitta to put Salisbury up 6-1,
- Nicole Ortega came in relief of Sheats in the seventh and sat down the Eagles in order to close out the doubleheader sweep.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Lindsey Windsor one-hit Mary Washington in the opener to earn her fifth win of the season. Windsor's lone hit given up was in the top of the first inning. Windsor went through a stretch of 15 straight batters retired before a sixth-inning walk. She struck out six batters and only allowed two walks.
- Savannah Sheats collected the win in Game 2. She sat down 10 batters on strikes, scattered four hits, walked one and allowed one unearned run.
- Kaleigh Edwards slugged her fourth home run of the season with a two-run shot in Game 2. She tallied one hit in both games.
- Natalie Paoli went 2-for-4 with two runs driven in and a run scored.
- Abby Mace and Lauren Meyers each notched a double in Game 2.
- Salisbury looks to continue its winning ways on Friday, April 2 with a home doubleheader against Division II Bowie State.
- First pitch of the twinbill is set for 2 p.m.