SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 6 Salisbury University softball team picked up a doubleheader sweep over Rowan University on Saturday at Sea Gull Softball Stadium, taking the opener 12-3 in five innings before completing the sweep with a 5-1 win in the second game.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 1
- Salisbury got the scoring started in the first inning when Abby Mace led things off with a double laced into the right-field corner and came around to score on Kaleigh Edwards' triple blasted to the right-center field fence.
- The Sea Gulls opened up their lead in the second when pitcher Lindsey Windsor just missed a home run to left-center field, scoring Madi Lemon on what turned out to be a double, followed by a two-run home run off the bat of Mace.
- The Sea Gulls exploded for eight runs in the third, highlighted by a three-run home run to left field by Edwards.
- The Profs scored three times in the top of the fifth inning, but it was not enough to keep the game going, as relief pitcher Alexis Black got a flyout to end it.
HOW IT HAPPENED – GAME 2
- The Sea Gulls again struck first in the second game scoring single runs in each of the first two frames, driven in by Maddison Lednum and Windsor for a 2-0 lead.
- Salisbury starting pitcher Savannah Sheats made the early lead stand up, keeping the Profs off the board until surrendering a single run in the top of the fifth,
- Salisbury put up single runs in its final three innings to push the score to 5-1.
- Abby Mace led the way for Salisbury offensively with a 4-for-4 effort, including four runs scored and three driven in.
- Kaleigh Edwards went 2-for-3 in the first game with four runs driven in.
- Maddison Lednum was 2-for-4 in the second game with an RBI.
- Lindsey Windsor worked the first three innings in the circle in the opener to collect her fourth win of the year. She struck out one and allowed just four Rowan hits.
- Savannah Sheats went 6.1 innings in the second game picking up her third win of the season, scattering two hits and striking out five.
- Six different Profs had hits in the doubleheader, with Payton MacNair and Cali Kraemer each picking up doubles in the opener and Kelly Duffy notching one hit in each game.
- Salisbury has a two-week break before returning to action on Saturday, April 10 at the University of Mary Washington for the Coast-to-Coast Athletic Conference opener.
- The doubleheader begins at noon from Fredericksburg, Va.