SALISBURY, Md. – The fifth-ranked Salisbury University softball team completed the Sunday sweep of the Lynchburg Hornets and the Wesley Wolverines. SU shutout Lynchburg in the opener 6-0 before a 3-2 victory in the series finale with Wesley.
HOW IT HAPPENED – LYNCHBURG
- Both pitchers were dealing to start the game with both teams only collecting one hit through three and a half innings.
- The Salisbury bats came alive in the bottom of the fourth. Meagan Reed and Maddison Lednum started the inning with back-to-back doubles. Kaleigh Edwards cleared the bases with a three-run shot to left-center.
- After Natalie Paoli reached with a bunt single, BK Hewitt caught the Lynchburg defense napping and stole home.
- Later in the inning, Francesca Cuttitta singled down the left-field line to plate Paoli. Two batters later, Abby Mace smacked a double down the left-field line to score Cuttitta.
- Lynchburg led off the fifth inning with a double but Lindsey Windsor sat down the next three batters to clear the threat.
- Alexis Black replaced Windsor with one out in the seventh inning and retired the side in order with a strikeout to end the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED – WESLEY
- Nicole Ortega began the game by striking out the side in order in the top of the first.
- Lednum opened the scoring in the bottom half of the first with an RBI single to right-center to score Reed from second base.
- Wesley nodded the game at one when Carly Endres blooped a single between the first baseman and right fielder to score Dori Loukopoulos.
- Reed allowed Salisbury to regain the lead, 3-1, with a two-RBI single up the middle to score Sami Mumford and Madi Lemon.
- Ortega was dealing until the seventh inning as she faced one over the minimum between the third and sixth innings.
- Wesley cut the lead in half with a Kylie Nagle homer over the center-field fence. A batter later, Ortega was able to finish the complete-game effort with a groundout to shortstop.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- Lindsey Windsor and Alexis Black teamed up to two-hit Lynchburg in the opener. Windsor struck out six in 6.1 innings with only two hits and a walk. Black struck out one in in the final two outs of the game.
- Nicole Ortega notched a complete game against Wesley to earn her third win of the season. She struck out seven, scatted three hits and allowed two runs.
- Kaleigh Edwards registered three hits on the day with two knocks in the Lynchburg game. She smacked the three-run home run in the fourth and hit a double.
- Lauren Meyers went 2-for-3 against Lynchburg with a pair of singles.
- Abby Mace, Meagan Reed and Maddison Lednum also tallied doubles in the Lynchburg win. Reed drove in two runs in the Wesley win.