SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University softball team defended its home turf in the 2021 home opener at Sea Gull Softball Stadium with a Saturday sweep of the Wesley Wolverines and TCNJ Lions. The Sea Gulls opened the day with a 2-1 win over the Wolverines then a 13-3 run-rule victory over the Lions.
HOW IT HAPPENED – WESLEY
- Wesley opened the scoring in the top of the first when Kylie Nagle drew a two-out, bases-loaded walk that brought home Bianca Newsom.
- Salisbury quickly responded and took the lead in the bottom half of the fitst when back-to-back RBI singles by Kaleigh Edwards and Lauren Meyers put SU ahead, 2-1.
- Wesley looked to tie the game in the second inning when they loaded the bases with one out. But, Lindsey Windsor forced Gab Monzo to pop into an inning-ending double play to keep the Salisbury lead intact.
- Both pitchers spun a gem with both teams only giving up four hits.
HOW IT HAPPENED – TCNJ
- TCNJ scored first in the opening inning with a sacrifice fly to center field by Elyse Nardozza to score Kaci Neveling.
- Salisbury got back in the game in a big way in the bottom of the first. The Sea Gulls batted around and scored nine runs in the inning. Natalie Paoli and Madi Lemon each recorded two-RBI singles in the inning while Maddison Lednum ended the big inning with a two-run double to the left-center field gap to score Jillian Jones and Sami Mumford to put SU up, 9-1.
- A double steal by TCNJ in the top of the second inning trimmed the SU lead to 9-2.
- Salisbury tacked on four more runs in the bottom of the second. After loading the bases, Meyers scored from third on a fielding error by the TCNJ catcher. A batter later, Raegan Smith scored on a wild pitch. Abby Mace then brought Jones home on a sacrifice fly. Meagan Reed followed with a ground-rule double to center field to plate Mumford to push Salisbury's lead up to 13-2.
- TCNJ got a run across in the fifth inning with an RBI single by Katie Winchock but SU was able to end the game in the fifth with a groundout to second base.
SALISBURY GAME NOTES
- After giving up a run in the first inning against Wesley, Lindsey Windsor shut down the Wolverine offense to earn her first win of the season. Windsor struck out a career-high 12 batters and only allowed four hits, an earned run and a walk.
- All nine Salisbury starters recorded a hit in the TCNJ win.
- Lauren Meyers ended the day with three hits, two coming in the victory against TCNJ.
- Maddison Lednum drove home three runs against TCNJ while Meagan Reed, Natalie Paoli and Madi Lemon each tallied a pair of RBIs.
- Savannah Sheats picked up the win in the nightcap. She scattered 11 hits and only allowed three runs.
- Salisbury continues the weekend on Sunday with games against Lynchburg and Wesley.
- SU opens the day with Lynchburg at 11 a.m. before wrapping up the series with Wesley at 1 p.m.