SALISBURY, Md. – The 16th-ranked Salisbury University softball team extended its win streak to 10 games with a doubleheader sweep on Monday over the Lynchburg Hornets.
Game 1 Final Score: No. 16 Salisbury 2, Lynchburg 0
Game 2 Final Score: No. 16 Salisbury 10, Lynchburg 0
Records: Salisbury (17-3) | Lynchburg (8-8)
Location: Sea Gull Softball Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury scored two runs in the bottom of second inning all with two outs in the inning. Madeira Alexander reached on an error by the first baseman to extend the second inning. Natalie Paoli brought Alexander in with an RBI double to right center. Two batters later, Fraley drove in Paoli with a single to center.
- The two runs was all that Savannah Sheats needed. Lynchburg got a runner in scoring position in six of the seven innings but Sheats was able to strand the runners and complete the shutout.
GAME ONE NOTES
- Maddison Lednum went 2-for-3 in the clean-up spot.
- Natalie Paoli and Dakotah Fraley each drove in a run.
- Savannah Sheats picked up her ninth win of the season in the complete-game shutout. Shests struck out five and only gave up five hits and two walks.
- Game two saw more offense from Salisbury with the Sea Gulls.
- Alexander started the scoring for Salisbury with an RBI single to right center to score Abby Mace. A better later, Paoli hit a line drive that just cleared the left-field fence for a three-run home run that pushed the lead to 4-0 over Lynchburg.
- An RBI double in the third inning by Lednum and a two-run double by Emily Allen in the fourth extended Salisbury advantage to 7-0.
- Lynchburg broke the shout out with a Kortney Leazer RBi double in the sixth inning.
- Salisbury ended the game in the bottom of the sixth inning with a three-run home run by Lednum to give the Sea Gulls the doubleheader sweep.
GAME TWO NOTES
- Maddison Lednum paced the offense in the nightcap with a 2-for-4 game with an RBI double and a three-run home run.
- Abby Mace and Emily Allen each went 2-for-3. Allen drove in a pair while Mace scored twice.
- Natalie Paoli brought home three with a home run in the second inning.
- Lindsey Windsor also went the distance for Salisbury with two strikeouts. Windsor didn't allow a walk and scattered seven hits and an unearned run.
- Salisbury looks to continue its winning ways on Friday when the Wesley Wolverines make the short trip down Route 13.
- The doubleheader begins at 2 p.m.
- Live stats and video are available on SUSeaGulls.com.