SALISBURY, Md. – The 16th-ranked Salisbury University softball team picked up a three-game series win over the 10th-ranked TCNJ Lions with a doubleheader sweep on Sunday to continue play in the Optimist Club of Salisbury Sea Gull Classic.
Game 1 Final Score: No, 16 Salisbury 11, No. 10 TCNJ 5
Game 2 Final Score: No. 16 Salisbury 2, No. 10 TCNJ 0
Records: Salisbury (15-3) | TCNJ (4-4)
Location: Sea Gull Softball Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury jumped out to an early 3-0 lead. Dakotah Fraley came around to score on a passed ball. Two batters later, Abby Mace cranked a two-run home run to left field.
- TCNJ tied the game with an RBI double by Annalese Suitvosky in the second inning and back-to-back sacrifice flies in the third inning.
- TCNJ took the 4-3 lead in the fourth inning with a Megan Mayernik RBI single.
- Five runs came around to score in the fifth to allow Salisbury to power ahead of TCNJ, Kaleigh Edwards opened the scoring in the fifth inning on an RBI single by Madeira Alexander. Mace scored later in the inning from third base on a Natalie Paoli sacrifice fly. Then, Alissa Saverino smacked a three-run home run to put Salisbury up 8-4.
- Salisbury added three runs of insurance in the final three frames. After a one-out double by Edwards in the sixth, Maddison Lednum brought her home on a triple down the right-field line. Lednum touched home a batter later on an RBI single to left. Sami Mumford stretched Salisbury lead to 11-4 with an single to right center to plate Saverino.
- TCNJ did get a run back in the bottom of the seventh but Savannah Sheats was able to close down the rally with a lineout to center to end the game.
GAME ONE NOTES
- Kaleigh Edwards paced the Salisbury offense, going 3-for-5 at the plate with two runs scored and a double.
- Maddison Lednum, Abby Mace, Alissa Saverino and Madeira Alexander all tallied a pair of hits. Mace and Saverino each drove home three runs.
- Saverino connected on her first career home run in the victory.
- Savannah Sheats registered her eighth win of the year. She gave up six hits, four runs (three earned) and three walks but struck out three, Alexis Black didn't allow a hit in 0.2 innings of relief.
- The second game was a pitchers' duel between two freshmen hurlers.
- Emily Allen broke the scoreless tie with a solo home run in the bottom of the second.
- Lednum doubled Salisbury's lead on the first pitch of the sixth inning with a solo dinger to left field.
- TCNJ got at least a runner in scoring position in each of the final four innings of the game but Lindsey Windsor stifled the TCNJ rallies and completed the shutout.
GAME TWO NOTES
- Dakotah Fraley tallied two hits, including a double.
- Maddison Lednum notched her second home run of the season. The first came in the resumption of Salisbury's first game against TCNJ earlier in the day.
- Emily Allen recorded her fifth home run of the season.
- Lindsey Windsor earned her second complete-game shutout of the season for her sixth win of the year. She scattered five runs and only walked two with a pair of punch outs.
- Salisbury wraps up the Optimist Club of Salisbury Sea Gull Classic with a doubleheader against the Lynchburg Hornets on Monday,
- First pitch is scheduled for 12 p.m.
- All live links are available on SUSeaGulls.com