SALISBURY, Md. – The 16th-ranked Salisbury University softball team swept the Cortland St. Red Dragons to start the Optimist Club of Salisbury Sea Gull Classic on Saturday.
Game 1 Final Score: Salisbury 3, Cortland St. 2
Game 2 Final Score: Salisbury 13, Cortland St. 2 (5 inn.)
Records: Salisbury (13-2) | Cortland St. (0-2)
Location: Sea Gull Softball Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Salisbury's first hit of the game came off the bat of Abby Mace's solo home run to straightaway center field in the second inning.
- Cailey Cuttita gave Cortland the one-run lead in the fifth inning with a two-run home run to left field.
- It didn't take long for Salisbury to tie the game when Dakotah Fraley hit a sacrifice fly to right field to plate Madi Lemon from third base.
- With two runners in scoring position in the top of the sixth, Savannah Sheats worked out of the jam with a pop out to second base to keep the game tied at two.
- Salisbury walked off winners in the opener when Emily Allen took a 1-0 pitch over the right-field fence for a home run.
GAME ONE NOTES
- Three of Salisbury's four hits were extra-base hits.
- Emily Allen hit her fourth home run of the season with the walk-off.
- Abby Mace smacked her third long ball of the year.
- Savannah Sheats struck out eight and didn't register a walk in her complete-game effort. Sheats only allowed six hits and two runs to earn her seventh win of the season.
- Salisbury scored in every inning en route to a run-rule victory.
- Kaleigh Edwards launched a two-run shot to left field to open the scoring in the top of the first.
- Taylor Felicello cut the Salisbury lead in half when she scored on an error in the first inning.
- Back-to-back two-out doubles by Fraley and Sami Mumford pushed the Salisbury lead back to four in the second inning.
- Cortland got a run back in the bottom of the second with an infield hit by Megan Weber to score Lexi Szesnat from third base.
- Salisbury scored four runs in the third and fourth innings.
- Maddison Lednum came home on a sacrifice fly from Allen to begin the scoring in the third.
- A batter later, Natalie Paoli blasted a three-run home run to left field to push the Salisbury lead to 8-2 over Cortland.
- Edwards notched her second two-run homer of the game with a line drive over the left-field fence to open the scoring in the fourth inning.
- With the bases loaded, Paoli smacked a single through the left side of the infield to bring Mace and Madeira Alexander around to score.
- Edwards brought home her fifth run of the game with a sacrifice fly that scored Fraley from third to extend Salisbury's lead to 13-2.
- Alyssa Taylor closed out the game in the fifth with a ground out and a strikeout to clinch the sweep.
GAME TWO NOTES
- Salisbury scored its 13 runs on nine hits.
- Kaleigh Edwards and Natalie Paoli each notched two hits with five runs batted in. Edwards smacked two home runs to tie for fourth in single-game program history.
- Dakotah Fraley went 3-for-4 with two runs scored, two doubles and an RBI at the top of the lineup.
- Lindsey Windsor went 3.1 innings to collect her fifth win of the season. She struck out four and only gave up four hits and two runs (one earned).
- Salisbury continues play in the Optimist Club of Salisbury Sea Gull Classic when they host the No. 10 TCNJ Lions on Sunday.
- The day starts with the two teams finishing their halted game from Feb. 16 at 11:30 a.m.
- All links are available at SUSeaGulls.com