SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 21 Salisbury University softball clinched a four-game sweep in the SU Tournament with shutouts over the Clarkson Golden Knights and the Oneonta Red Dragons on Sunday.
Game 1 Final Score: No. 21 Salisbury 7, Clarkson 0
Game 2 Final Score: No. 21 Salisbury 9, Oneonta 0 (6 inn.)
Records: Salisbury 11-2 | Oneonta (1-3) | Clarkson (1-3)
Location: Sea Gull Softball Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Salisbury vs. Clarkson
- Salisbury scored first in the second inning after a leadoff double by Maddison Lednum and Abby Mace moved Lednum over on a sacrifice bunt, Madeira Alexander drove her home in a sacrifice fly to left field.
- Dakotah Fraley doubled Salisbury's lead in the third on a solo home run to center field.
- Salisbury added five runs of insurance in the sixth inning all with two outs. Mace drove in two runs on a triple to left field and came home on the same play on a throwing error. Back-to-back doubles by Alexander and Emily Allen added another run later in the inning. BK Hewitt capped off the scoring in the fifth when she came home on an error by the second baseman to put Salisbury ahead 7-0.
GAME ONE NOTES
- Maddison Lednum went 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a double.
- Abby Mace brought home two runs on her first collegiate triple.
- Dakotah Fraley connected on her second home run of the year in the third inning.
- Savannah Sheats earned her fifth win of the season with a complete-game shutout. Sheats scattered four hits and struck out seven batters.
Salisbury vs. Oneonta
- Allen launched a two-run bomb in the second inning onto Eastern Shore Drive over the left-field fence to begin the scoring in the finale to give Salisbury the 2-0 lead.
- Salisbury added three runs in the third inning. Jillian Jones led off the inning with a double to left and Kaleigh Edwards moved her over with a single to left. Lednum plated Jones on a sacrifice fly. Three batters later, Allen cleared the bases with a two-run single to right field to give Salisbury a 5-0 lead.
- The Sea Gulls continued their onslaught of Oneonta pitchers with three more long balls.
- Jones went opposite field to left to extend Salisbury's lead to 6-0 in the fourth.
- A lead-off home run by Madi Lemon on the first pitch of the sixth inning and a two-run home run off the left-field foul pole to push Salisbury lead to 9-0.
GAME TWO NOTES
- Eight of the nine starters tallied Salisbury's 11 hits against Oneonta.
- Jillian Jones, Emily Allen and Kaleigh Edwards each recorded two hits in the win.
- Jones, Edwards. Allen and Madi Lemon all smacked home runs. Allen paced the offense with four RBIs to match a season-high.
- Lindsey Windsor also went the distance for Salisbury to record her first collegiate shutout. She struck out four, only allowed six hits and two walks.
- Salisbury will begin the Sea Gull Classic on Saturday, March 7. The three-day tournament opens with the Sea Gulls hosting the Cortland Red Dragons.
- The doubleheader starts at 12 p.m. at Sea Gull Softball Stadium.
- Live links are available on SUSeaGulls.com