SALISBURY, Md. – The No. 21 Salisbury University softball team rebounded from Wednesday to earn a pair of wins on Saturday over the Oneonta Red Dragons and the Clarkson Golden Knights to begin the SU Tournament.
Game 1 Final Score: Salisbury 8, Oneonta 5
Game 2 Final Score: Salisbury 11, Clarkson 1 (5 inn.)
Records: Salisbury (9-2) | Clarkson (1-1) | Oneonta (0-2)
Location: Sea Gull Softball Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Salisbury vs. Oneonta
- After falling behind in the third inning when Gianna DiGiovanna scored on a Salisbury error, Salisbury responded five runs in the bottom of the inning.
- Alissa Saverino scored from third on an error by the Oneonta third baseman.
- Later in the third with the bases loaded, Madeira Alexander blasted a grand slam to left-center to give Salisbury a 5-1 lead.
- Salisbury added insurance in the bottom of the fifth, courtesy of a three-run home run by Abby Mace to stretch the lead to 8-1.
- Oneonta plated a pair of runs in the sixth and seventh but Savannah Sheats was able to finish off her complete game with a Megan Palmatier ground out.
Salisbury vs. Clarkson
- Salisbury scored in every inning except for the fifth to roll to a run-rule win over Clarkson.
- After Dakotah Fraley led off the game with a single to center and a sacrifice bunt by Jillian Jones, Kaleigh Edwards launched a two-run bomb off the screen beyond the left-field fence. Later in the first, Lauren Meyers recorded a two-out, two-run single to center to plate Mace and Maddison Lednum to push Salisbury up 4-0 after a half-inning.
- Sami Mumford led off the second with a single to left then Fraley follows with a two-run home run to left field to extend the Salisbury lead to 6-0. Clarkson countered with a run in the bottom half of the second inning.
- Salisbury responded with four runs, all with two outs, in the third inning to push the lead up to 10-1. Mumford notched an RBI single to right to score Alexander from third base. Fraley followed with an RBI double to right-center. Salisbury responded to three straight Clarkson errors to bring two runs home.
- Another Clarkson error on a Fraley single in the fifth brought Mumford home to give Salisbury an 11-1 lead.
- Back-to-back strikeouts by Alexis Black in the fifth sealed the win for Salisbury.
- Madeira Alexander, Abby Mace, Kaleigh Edwards and Dakotah Fraley all hit homers in the sweep.
- Alexander went 3-for-3 with a double and a grand slam in the opener.
- Mace drove in three with her long ball in game one and scored two runs.
- Edwards and Maddison Lednum scored a pair of runs against Oneonta.
- Savannah Sheats collected her fifth win of the season with a complete-game effort against Oneonta. Sheats struck out seven and only allowed six hits, four walks and five runs (three earned).
- Fraley and Sami Mumford had a perfect game at the plate against Clarkson. Fraley and Mumford each scored three times. Fraley went 4-for-4 with three RBIs, two of which came on her second-inning home run, and a double. Mumford went 3-for-3 with three singles and a run batted in.
- Edwards hit her third home run of the season in the first inning against Clarkson.
- Mace notched two hits while Lauren Meyers drove in two runs in the nightcap.
- Lindsey Windsor registered her third win of the season against Clarkson. Windsor pitched four innings and only gave up four hits, two walks and a run while striking out four.
- Salisbury wraps up the SU Tournament on Sunday against Oneonta and Clarkson.
- SU opens the day against Clarkson at noon before finishing up with Oneonta at 2 p.m.
- All live links are available on SUSeaGulls.com.