SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University softball team cruised to a pair of wins on Sunday to complete a weekend sweep over DeSales and Hood. With the sweep, Salisbury extends its season-opening win streak to seven games.
Game 1 Final Score: Salisbury 7. DeSales 0
Game 2 Final Score: Salisbury 19, Hood 1 (5 inn.)
Records: Salisbury (7-0) | DeSales (2-2) | Hood (0-4)
Location: Sea Gull Softball Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
Salisbury vs. DeSales
- Salisbury batted around and plated all of its runs in the top of the third inning. Jillian Jones brought home Sami Mumford on an RBI infield single. A batter later, Kaleigh Edwards smacked a single up the middle to score Jones and Dakotah Fraley.
- Later in the inning, Emily Allen hit a two-run single to right field to bring Edwards and Maddison Lednum around to score.
- Madeira Alexander followed up Allen's hit with a two-run bomb over the left-center fence for the seventh run of the inning.
GAME ONE NOTES
- The seven runs were more than enough for Savannah Sheats to pick up the win. Sheats allowed only a hit and walked one with three strikeouts in 5.2 innings of work. Alyssa Taylor finished up the game with two strikeouts with a hit in 1.1 innings.
- Dakotah Fraley and Sami Mumford each notched a pair of hits and run scored.
- Kaleigh Edwards, Emily Allen and Madeira Alexander all knocked in two runs in the victory.
- Alexander hit her first home run of the season.
Salisbury vs. Hood
- It didn't take long for Salisbury to put runs on the board as 14 batters came to the plate in the first and nine came around to score, highlighted by a two-run single to left field by Alissa Saverino.
- An RBI single to left by Fraley and a two-run double by Jones pushed Salisbury's lead to 12-0 at the end of two innings.
- After a two-run double to left-center by Alexander in the third, Natalie Paoli tripled to the left-center gap to chase Alexander home. Two batters later, Fraley brought Paoli home on an RBI single to center.
- RBI doubles by Saverino and Sydney Duplissey sandwiched by a Paoli RBI single stretch Salisbury's lead to 19-0 at the end of the fourth inning.
- It looked like Salisbury was going to record back-to-back shutouts but Hood tallied a run in the top of the fifth inning on an RBI single by Caitline Gosline.
GAME TWO NOTES
- All nine Salisbury starters recorded at least hit and scored a run. As a team, Salisbury combined for 24 hits.
- Salisbury's 19 runs are the most in a game since April 11, 2015, when Salisbury tallied 24 runs against Southern Virginia.
- Dakotah Fraley, Jillian Jones, Maddison Lednum and Natalie Paoli all notched three hits. Fraley, Madeira Alexander and Alissa Saverino each drove in three RBIs.
- Lindsey Windsor only allowed a hit and scattered four walks but struck out three in 3.2 shutout innings.
- Alexis Black sat down two batters in relief.
- Salisbury welcomes No. 7 Virginia Wesleyan for a midweek doubleheader at Sea Gull Softball Stadium on Wednesday.
- The twinbill begins at 1:30 p.m.
- Live links are available on SUSeaGulls.com