SALISBURY, Md. – The Salisbury University softball team showed off its offensive firepower to complete the three-game sweep on Sunday over the Rochester Yellowjackets with a 14-9 victory.
Final Score: Salisbury 14, Rochester 9
Record: Salisbury (3-0) | Rochester (0-4)
Location: Sea Gull Softball Stadium – Salisbury, Md.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The scoring began for the Sea Gulls in the top of the second inning when Emily Allen sent a two-run shot over the left-field wall to make it a 2-0 game.
- The maroon and gold added five more runs in the third inning to jump ahead 7-0. With no outs and runners on the corners, Kaleigh Edwards sent a double into the left-center field gap, scoring teammate Dakotah Fraley on the play.
- Maddison Lednum drove home two more runs in the next at-bat when she sent home Edwards and Jillian jones with another double into the gap between left and center. Lednum and Mace scored a few at-bats later with a Natalie Paoli single to right field, opening the lead to 7-0.
- Rochester answered in the bottom half of the inning, scoring three runs on a big fly over the left-field wall by Hannah Keiper to cut the Salisbury lead to 7-3.
- The Sea Gulls bounced back with four more runs in the top of the fourth inning to open the lead to 11-3. Jones scored on a one-out single up the middle by Lednum for the first run. Three more runs scored a couple of at-bats later when Madeira Alexander sent a bases-clearing double into right field, scoring Mace, Lednum, and Lauren Meyers.
- Rochester kept clawing back, however, with three more runs in the bottom half to keep within striking distance at 11-6.
- Edwards put Salisbury up by eight runs, 14-6, in the seventh inning with a three-run bomb over the left-field foul pole.
- Rochester tried to rally in the seventh innings, scoring four more runs, but it wasn't enough as Salisbury eventually closed the door for the 14-9 victory.
- Salisbury notched 17 hits in the game. Dakotah Fraley, Maddison Lednum and Madeira Alexander all registered three hits. Fraley and Lednum each scored twice while Lednum and Alexander each drove home three runs in the game.
- Kaleigh Edwards and Emily Allen each blasted a home run in the contest. Edwards recorded four runs batted in.
- Natalie Paoli drove in a pair of runs on a single in the third inning.
- Alexis Black earned her first win of the season. She scattered four runs on four hits and struck out two.
- Savannah Sheats came in relief and pitched 3.1 innings to collect her first collegiate save.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Salisbury was scheduled to finish the day against TCNJ but the game was halted in the bottom of the sixth due to darkness.
- Salisbury will host DeSales and Hood for a weekend series starting on Saturday, Feb. 22.
- The games begin at 10 a.m. at Sea Gull Softball Stadium with Salisbury taking on DeSales.
- Live stats and video are available for all of the games at SUSeaGulls.com.